Looking for something to DO in Chicago in November?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

If you’re interested in learning more about what it takes to run United’s operations and meeting our management team, our November event may be just your ticket. On Nov. 15th and 16th we’ll be hosting a 2-day event here in Chicago, including exclusive behind-scenes tours, Q&A sessions with our experts and an opportunity to meet us…and each other.

More details will be shared soon, and space for this first event is going to be extremely limited. Stay tuned for more information later this week to learn how to request a spot.

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights
    United Airlines

UPDATE ADDED 10/1/2012:
    Hi Everyone,

On behalf of everyone here at United, we’re looking forward to hosting our first-ever United DO in Chicago on November 15th and 16th, 2012. It will be an event-filled couple of days! The morning of the 15th will start with very special behind-the-scenes tours we know any airline enthusiast will love. This will be followed by a cocktail reception in downtown Chicago where you’ll have the opportunity to meet and mingle with members of United’s leadership team and each other. The next morning will begin at Willis Tower where we’ll host question and answer sessions on the popular topics we know are important to you and get an update from Jeff Smisek, our CEO.

Space for this event is extremely limited. If you’d like to join us, please stay tuned as we’ll be posting details on how to request a spot on Tuesday, October 2th at 7:00pm (CST). We expect space to fill up quickly, and because of this, factors such as MileagePlus Premier status and time of request will be taken into consideration.

As a reminder, United co-workers aren’t eligible to register, but, we’d love for you to come and help us out. To volunteer, please send us a PM with your contact details.

Shannon Kelly
    United Airlines

UPDATE ADDED 10/2/2012:

Hi Everyone,

For those of you wanting to join us for our first DO here in Chicago on November 15th and 16th, 2012, this is the update you’ve been waiting for!

To request a spot for this event, please send us an email to insider@united.com that includes the following four details:

1. Forum name (e.g. milepoint)
    2. Forum handle
    3. First and last name
    4. MileagePlus number

As I mentioned before, space for this event is extremely limited. We’ll accept requests through Thursday, October 4th 1159p CDT, and will get back to you either way early the following week. Selected attendees will be notified via Private Conversation.

The first post of this thread has also been updated with this information.

Thanks, and good luck!

Shannon Kelly

UPDATE ADDED 10/9/2012:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the huge response to the upcoming United DO. Space for this event, as you can imagine, is very limited. We have Private Conversation'd all the members that have been selected. In addition we have sent out communication to members who fell within a realistic waitlist window. If you did not receive communication from us then you did not make the confirmed list or the waitlist.

Although this opportunity to join us is closed, there are still two others that United will be offering that will not only give you access to the United DO, but the SMD4 Charter as well. The packages will involve all positioning flights and hotels The first is our United AV Geek video contest as mentioned on twitter and on the United Hub. The second is our MileagePlus Headliners auction where you can bid miles to win the complete SMD4 experience.

Congratulations to everyone who made it.

Shannon Kelly
    United Airlines

2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great!

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly hope praise and respect for the honourable Mr. Smisek and his team factors into your consideration! I've had nary a bad thing to say about United on these boards. (I happen to think that the experience of sitting in the back of the plane of any airline is equally rotten.)

Gargoyle and HeathrowGuy like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like an excellent opportunity for customers to network and learn about the day to day goings at United.

Thanks for inviting the customers once again UA Insider.

5. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like this is an expansion of the SMD4 UA events in Chicago. Great idea to open it to more people. Good PR for UA. Any extra events over the SMD4 schedule?

edcho likes this.
  6. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this is an extension of the original CO Do's, the 4 of which pre-date the SMD's. At the last one, it was stated that there wasn't going to be another one. I guess, given that it's now UA, that was a true statement.

7. eagle92

eagle92 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh man...I would love to make it out for this, but my schedule isn't looking too good right about then...hmmmm...might have to shuffle some things for this!!!

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is on my calendar--hope I can get a spot.

Gargoyle and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ditto, here!

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could also be UA working with the UA Flyertalk forum mods to include Flyertalk, as the SMD's are Milepoint. Yes I would view this as sort of a CO DO #5 (I did all 4 of the CO DO's - which started the mega DO events).

The SMD4 schedule has not been published. Also not clear if the UA event Thursday night at the Schaumburg Hyatt includes the expanded attendees or if UA will have a separate Thursday event elsewhere.

This could be part of the reason why the Friday night UA / Star event was cancelled and became the Giddy UP benefit party (moved from Sat to Fri).

11. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me gusta. Now I have to get a ticket for this extremely limited affair...

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't be able to attend, but as a 1KMM who is testing the waters with other carriers right now, I'd sure be interested if someone can take notes on what the UA folks say.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is the same tour as SMD4, I am sure there will be many note-takers, blogs and Q&As. I agree, I am interested in this session and am looking forward to the UA visit, be it this one, SMD4 (or both if they are the same!)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, detailed trip report, please. Can't really afford to take two days off.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is the same stuff that SMD is getting to do with UA as I understand it.

Misplaced Texan and cova like this.
  16. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same stuff - but at same time and place?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it, yes. Perhaps asking the organizers of that event for confirmation one way or the other would be more useful then speculating here. I'm not a registered attendee so I've got no skin in the game.

tommy777, unavaca and IDGflygirl like this.
  18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn! I'll be on vacation. Oh well - hopefully next time.

19. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this mirrors the old COD's, then there will be several breakout groups in 2 sessions on subjects like "Web Site and On-Line Presence", "Inflight Product - Hard and Soft", "UAMP Program", etc. Each of these had 2 or so CO execs related to those areas at a table and they made a short presentation, or not, followed by Q&A. We used to have the opportunity to attend 2 of these, with a short break in between. Following a break after the 2nd session, there would be the mass meeting at which we'd have the Larry & Jeff Show, at which they'd give a breakout on how CO was doing from a number of stat points, some of what the future held, and then a bit of Q&A. It was a bit of a good guy/bad guy playoff between them. I'll let you guess who was which.:)

Assuming a similar situation, I can't imagine they'd be going through this twice, once for SMD's and a whole 'nother one for FT and MP folks. But this is the new UA, with changes you're gonna like.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    TripIt says I'm free that weekend. :-:

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good, but...

"On Nov. 15th and 16th we’ll be hosting a 2-day event here in Chicago"

my calendar says Nov 15 is a Thursday. Hope that counts as weekend for you. :)

22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    This organizer know what they have in store, but I'll leave it up to Shannon & Company to inform about the actual program, but I can say that very very limited group from Milepoint and FT (a total of around 30-40 from each site will be picked) will be joining the SMDers for some fun in Chicago.

Jubileesmom, cova and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds interesting, but my schedule has me attending the Paul McCartney concert on the 14th in Houston. Maybe next year.

Pat89339 likes this.
  24. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I look forward to hearing more! This sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Thanks in advance for thinking of us!

25. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad I'm scheduled to be in Kansas (flying AA!).