Looking for San Francisco to NYC RT under $300

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Iwantoflymore, Jun 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Iwantoflymore

Iwantoflymore New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

I am new to this thread. I moved to California for a new job about nine months ago and have been struggling to find good deals to visit friends and family back in the east coast.

I signed up for airfare watchdog, all airline emails, got the kayak app and check flights every Tuesday for sales using the "on the fly". Anyone have any advice/suggestions as to finding deals from SFO to NYC for under $300 RT? If possible, I trip to look at weekends so I don't use up all my vacation days. Would be great if it was Friday-Sunday. However, I know that is not reasonable with the ideal price so I am open Saturday-Tuesday. I'm willing to take off a day or two off work but nothing more. Please reply if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

MX likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try collecting/redeeming airline miles. Paying 25,000 miles for a r/t award in economy is a bit like giving up $250. Have you received any airline credit card welcome bonuses yet?

Sammich likes this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO is Virgin's hub, might be do-able in this case to NYC.

I flew SEA to EWR earlier this year on AS RT for about $320.

MX likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck.

The days of regularly finding sub-$300 transcons seem to be a distant memory at this point. It can happen from time to time when there is a sale but more commonly I'm seeing rather more expensive fares. :(

5. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see flights from SFO to EWR on AA for $290 in September when looking at ITA. So it seems it's possible to get that price for a Sat - Tues itinerary depending on your flexibility.

Sammich likes this.
  6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you considering/searching alternate airports? SJC or OAK might be cheaper. On the east coast, could you fly into PHL and then drive or take the train?

I've occasionally used hidden city ticketing for some savings: flying east coast to MRY via SFO, for example. In the other direction, some folks have reported success by "flying" to ZFV, Philadelphia's 30th street station, on UA - that routes via EWR then via Amtrak to PHL. You just walk off the "plane" at EWR. If you do use hidden city ticketing, make sure to buy only one-way tickets, and don't check bags.

But, as Seth says, fares are higher than we may have gotten used to. Playing mileage games may be the way to go.

7. CrazedZooChimp

CrazedZooChimp Active Member

Status Points:
    Best I've gotten to New York from SFO recently was a Fri-Mon on a combo of JetBlue and Virgin for $315 last March. I think I could have done a little bit cheaper had a flown out of SJC (and returned to SFO). Playing around with combining one-ways could help.