Looking for new London restaurants

Discussion in 'Europe' started by techgirl, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What are some of the favorites among travelers here?

I'm heading over next weekend with a friend and we are looking to try some new things.

Our criteria:

- reasonable value (they don't need to be "cheap" but not looking for break-the-bank either since we'll be having several meals out - thinking more "best bang for the buck" kind of places when you factor locale, cuisine, ambiance, etc.)
    - able to order healthy options (I'm sure we'll make at least one neighborhood chip shop stop, but for the most part we are both trying to eat very little processed food and prefer things very farm-fresh!)
    - interesting cocktail options (we like great handcrafted cocktails, champagne, and interesting wines, particularly whites)
    - not too far off the beaten path (i.e. within 0.5-1 km of a Tube stop)
    - options for "after-dinner" or "pre-dinner" cocktails nearby are a plus

2. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many options... A few suggestions
    -the various Maroush restaurants on Edgware Road (Lebanese)
    -Meateasy (pop-up burger place open evenings only) in New Cross--close to a tube stop on the East London Line, but does feel somewhat "off the beaten path". Best burgers in London (so maybe not so healthy either) and great cocktails.
    -Borough Market on Friday/Saturday
    -Empress of Sichuan in Chinatown (if you like spicy)
    -Anchor & Hope on The Cut by Waterloo
    -The Wapping Project (in Wapping)
    -For interesting cocktails, 69 Colebrooke Row in Islington or LAB in Soho/West End

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks! Here are a few others I had on my list from my research (either near our hotel or recs from others):

* Peridot (for afternoon tea)
    * Wildwood (breakfast)
    * Seasons (fish & chips)
    * Bosphorus Kebabs (for doner kebab)
    * Wodka (Polish)
    * Piano (piano bar w/ cocktails, some food)
    * Pasha (Moroccan)
    * Bouche (prix fixe French for lunch)
    * Arbutus
    * River Cafe

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also second Wapping Project, the food was good, but the building itself is magnificent. I also like St. John for breakfast BingoSF and Joanek and I went and had a nice breakfast at the Spitalfields branch before going to the market. Another suggestion that is wild, whimsical and has great cocktails and a bit over the top would be Pierre Gagnaire's Sketch. They do a prix-fixe lunch and somewhere I have a 50GBP voucher that might still be good for you to use.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    S
    Sketch actually showed up in my handwritten notes from last year but I didn't write anything else down so had no idea why I'd jotted it. That might be fun to try!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll definitely have a great list to pick from!

7. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    does jamie o's establishment count? Fifteen in old streets have plenty of bars/club around. but dinner would cost more than lunch.

loadera likes this.
  8. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure how new this place is, but I loved it. It's called Franco Manca, and it's a pizza joint in Brixton. Great pizza, and everything is well priced:

http://francomanca.co.uk/

the pizzas are all cooked in a wood fired oven which was built and designed by people from Naples (so they say). They also sell alcohol which goes down a treat.

Heartily recommended

9. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some great 'ethnic' restaurants around the Tooting/Clapham area. Much better food and value than any in the more touristed areas such as Brick Lane

10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Borough market, especially the Monmouth Coffee stand there.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  11. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be the last place you would expect great food, but the Petersham Nurseries Cafe and Teahouse is excellent.

http://www.petershamnurseries.com/cafeandteahouse.asp

they have full meals and light food. Someone told me that they have a Michelin star, but I am not sure. Any Google search should confirm my opinion.

Monkey Girl likes this.
  12. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree. It's been there almost 2 years and I go at least once a fortnight if I'm in town. The sourdough crusts are from a starter that the owner "borrowed" from Naples. They also have a deli with a lunch counter down the way in the market--Wildcaper--and around the corner is a fabulous coffee place, Goodbench, with great coffee (best in London, I think) and incredible ginger fudge squares.

13. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks! My list just keeps growing!

Any Soho recs for a light dinner? I've been perusing Yelp and have seen several interesting places there that get high ratings, particularly in the Tapas/French realm.

14. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soho's not the best--I'd definitely recommend Polpo (on Beak) and Polpetto (on Dean) and Bob Bob Ricard. You mentioned Arbutus as well. On the more unusual side (and technically outside of Soho) is a Japanese omelette (Okonomiyaki) place called Abeno Too on Great Newport Street--worth checking out if you've never had Okonomiyaki.

15. meecks
    Original Member

meecks Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Polpo... remember their "no reservation" policy at dinner!!
    I suggest you meatballs (polpette), fritto misto, and a spritz (typical venetian drink..).
    I'm a real venetian, and never found a place like this outside Venice (a real osteria, sometimes even better than the originals that we have here in venice!!). Kudos to Russell Norman!!

16. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Linda Terrill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fabulous Italian food in Knightsbridge is at Sale e Pepe. Reservations suggested. The owners are wonderful and the food and atmosphere the best. Always on our agenda when in London. A little pricey, but worth it.
    http://www.saleepepe.co.uk/

kaka likes this.
  17. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We had lunch today at Bumpkin in South Kensington. Very much met my farm-to-table sensibilities (and they have a late day brunch on weekends until 5 pm as well as Sunday roast). Good hand-crafted cocktails, nice veggie selections.

kaka likes this.