looking for mile runs from Miami on AA

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by bigmoish, Apr 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bigmoish

bigmoish Member

Status Points:
    I'm new here, and new to this game.
    I'd like to travel to Australia in the summer but now I want cheap flights to get gold on American.
    I'm based in Miami.

Know of anything?

MX likes this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your plan sounds a little disjointed. Australia THIS summer and you are just starting, cheap flights to get gold (is this for the trip to Aus?). I hope you don't to anything too rash in the excitement of the possibility of cheap/free travel. It takes time and effort to really sort out how to achieve YOUR goals. I have been at it almost a year now and have really only been in the collecting phase but getting ready to be in the spending phase. I did some spending but did not maximize the points like I have subsequently learned how to do. Maybe I am too cautious but I am confident in what I am doing.

Why do you want gold with American? One thing I have learned is people who fly a LOT shoot for status versus people who fly a few times a year want free. Having both and not flying a lot can be very tricky.

I personally find google flights very easy to use to find cheap flights. My partner and I are going CLT to SFO for a few days for $250 per ticket. I recently posted a $190 trip from CLT to PDX. Both I found easily on Google Flights.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with TravelBear on the need for specifics. Exactly which benefits of having gold do you need? If you're not very close to being gold now, it may be way cheaper for you to pay for those benefits with cash, rather than buying miles through pointless travel.

4. bigmoish

bigmoish Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.
    Going on pointless travel is not a good idea I'm getting ahead of myself thinking of the benefits of status.

It was really two things. In middle of June I'm going on a trip with my wife, she wants to go to Australia, we will probably go to new Zealand...
    Looking to stop off in LA for half a week then to Japan for say a week then to New Zealand and back.. we live in Miami.

MX, GoodBoy and TravelBear like this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia is not a place for a good mileage run. Yields are decent enough that you don't often find crazy fares, especially from the US east coast. However if you wait you may find some decent fares ex FLL or MIA you can search or just wait for someone to post something but often times there will be decent fares to say SEA or LAX that will make it worth your money to fly if you're going for status.

But most importantly, as others have said, what about status do you want, mileage running isn't worth it for everyone. For me I do it for the upgrades on the many segments I'd be flying anyways and for the priority standby and quick phone holds since I find myself on the phone with the airlines quite a lot.

GoodBoy and TravelBear like this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So based on your second post you are really looking for 1)suggestions on an itinerary and 2)you are excited about possibilities :D.
    If I am correct about the first thing you may want to use a service like FlightFox to help you find an itinerary. I have not used services like FlightFox, and there are others, so I can't give any input otherwise.

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    And boy do I LOVE free!

GoodBoy and TravelBear like this.