Looking for help to get from SYD to MRU or SEZ and then to BOS

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by suenam, Oct 6, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to book a business or first class flight from Sydney to either Mauritius or Seychelles and then return home to Boston. This is a one-way flight, but I'm not sure where to start looking. I could also fly with Skyteam or Oneworld. Hopefully someone can give me some tips. Thanks for your help.

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked out Google Flights yet? It's a good place to start. Try building a one way SYD->MRU/SEZ itinerary. That will show you some of your options. Then repeat for MRU/SEZ->BOS.

3. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I will give that a try. Does anybody know if this will price as one or two awards?

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on what frequent flyer program you book the award with. Otherwise this is like asking "how high is up".

5. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have lots of flexible points, UR points, MR points, TU points, as well as decent size balances with American, United and Delta. Alaska as well.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You might be able to use JAL if you can transfer into that program (distance-based, allows stopovers). I'm not familiar enough with the program to say authoritatively if that's a good strategy. Alaska does not have a one-way award that could originate in SYD, stop in MRU/SEZ and end in BOS (Emirates is not a valid partner for Australia). None of the other programs you mention having balances in allow stopovers on one-ways.

Mixing and matching one ways probably makes the most sense in this scenario. Grouping your trip into Australia-Middle East/MIddle East-USA and comparing cost and availability among programs should give you an idea of what the cost is.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  7. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I will look into those options. Any idea about Etihad? I see that they do fly there, but do you know if they would allow a stopover other than AUH. I would be willing to fly to JFK.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not really any idea about Etihad, though I suspect it's unlikely that an airline is going to allow a 4,000 mile or more diversion and double back as an "en route stopover". The programs that played fast and loose with things like that (US Airways) are as dead as dust now. But who knows, maybe you will luck out.

IMO, asking questions about somewhat more obscure FF options here instead of Flyertalk is probably not a winning strategy.

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised that @Wandering Aramean has yet to chime in. This must be a complex question!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been following but didn't have a ton to add. I think getting it as a single reward is unlikely to work well but I don't do a ton in that part of the world so cannot speak definitively.

11. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will give Flyertalk a try. I always like to try here first!

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main problem with the smaller and more obscure programs in this context is that you're not going to be able to get enough points transferred in from the balances you currently hold for it to be worth pursuing IMO.

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not, if OP has a lot of Citi ThankYou and AMEX MR points (I assume that's what's meant by "TU").

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/10/10/etihad-miles-plus-cash/

14. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points: