Looking for credit card advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by kelly0726, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kelly0726

kelly0726 Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am new and looking to open some new cc's to help build points but I am not sure which direction to go. Looking to be able to fund some family vacations for me, my husband and 3 young kids. 1st will be to CA in Oct -already have airfare paid from UR redemption. Next will be Seattle in the Spring.

I currently have Chase Sapphire card, and recently opened SPG Amex. My husband has a Chase freedom.

Home airport is PHL. Credit score 780 and husbands is 790.

I am thinking of applying for Ritz-Carlton, Citi AA (1 visa & 1 am ex) and then having my husband apply for Citi Thank you preferred. Are there others that I should be considering? I want to try and avoid annual fees (at least the 1st year waived)

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good plan! :)
    Personally I would first go for 2 Citi TY Preferred (1MC & 1 Visa) before the AA cards. I have a feeling that the AA miles might soon be devalued, so that they become just as lousy as the competition.
    Congrats on your great credit scores!

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it's nice to diversify, sometimes you should just concentrate on one alliance, or group of travel partners. I like Chase UR pts, mainly b/c of United and Hyatt transfers, and having the option of booking directly like you did with the UR pts. Ritz Carlton is also a partner, so at least you can accumulate pts towards a similar goal.

To this end, I would get CCs for transfer partners of Chase UR, mainly the UA and Hyatt (maybe Marriott/Ritz, if you want). The UA card currently has a 55K bonus on first purchase and adding an authorized user, and $50 statement credit. The Hyatt card would get you 2 nts + $75 statement credit to offset the annual fee, plus Plat status (free internet) and a free nt every year if you renew. UA miles can book US flights, which should be useful for you, being based in PHL.

So depending on your Chase situation (can't have too many accts at once), I think each of you should get the UA card, and that would be 110K miles to use...transfer some UR pts over, and that should take care of a set of economy, domestic tickets for the 5 of you. And it's flexible too...if there is no award availability, UA miles can book one-way awards, and then you can use UR pts or $ to book the other segments, etc.

4. kelly0726

kelly0726 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input. I have read about the 2 browser trick for the AA cards. I assume it is the same for the TY preferred? Do you happen to know the signup bonus on the MC?

marcwint55 and YULtide like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the UA card needs to be targeted; and an easy way is to have some miles in your UA account and link to chase.com from there.

For the Hyatt i think the statement credit offer has be removed; as I can no longer find it anywhere.

I do agree w/the rest of what you say; try to consolidate points into a specific program or two; especially if you're just starting out

Did your Husband Apply for the Freedom or is an older account? Why not just get the Sapphire as well and SPG? Then you can combine your UR accounts and transfer them into UA or SW for flight to SEA. Also with SPG you can combine two accounts into one; or transfer the points I should say if you live under the same household.

Why Ritz? Ritz/Marriot points are not as valuable (cost more to use them for free nights) compared to Hyatt or SPG. The Citi AA trick I believe is worth more than TY preferred right now, but that might change if/when Citi allows TY points to transfer. 50k TY = $500 or a little bit more if booked for travel if I am not mistaken. 50k AA miles = RT coast to coast flight which can easily cost more than $600.

One last note; since you're based in PHL, why not go for the US Airways card from Barclay since PHL is a Hub for them?

marcwint55 and lotso-bear like this.
  6. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both CC deals are still out there for UA and Hyatt, but it is slightly tricky.

For UA, I could not make the offer show up b/c I already have the card, but on a cleared out browser, and using my Dad's UA account login, the offer did show up after pricing out some airfare on united.com. He is not elite, but does have some miles in his account. The trick is to search for airfare, and then the offer pops up.

120625 UA offer thumbnail.JPG

Without logging on, the offer that shows up after a search is 30K miles. If this is still an issue, then Chase has been matching this offer by Secure Message.

120625 UA offer.JPG

It is similar for Hyatt. Search for hotel rooms on hyatt.com, click through "Book Now," but before entering your details. The offer shows up on the right side. You don't need to be logged on.
    120625 Hyatt offer thumbnail.JPG

120625 Hyatt offer.JPG

mrredskin and miles and smiles like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I think the trick is that you need have some miles in your account. You wont get the 65k offer if you don't have a UA account or have an empty one.

Thanks for the info on the Hyatt. I was just gonna appy for the UA card since the $75 credit went away or so I thought.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    And for the Hyatt card, you should have a plan beforehand, as you can do the Hyatt Diamond Challenge, which lasts 60 days, and/or wait for a Hyatt promo to maximize this Diamond status. Having 2 free nights in a suite could be very special if you choose the right property.

As for the AA miles suggestions...it's ok to put $ spend on a Citi AA card to get the sign-up bonuses, but day-to-day spend should instead be put on an SPG AX card, as the effective rate is 1.25 miles/$ after factoring the SPG to AA transfer bonus.

9. kelly0726

kelly0726 Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a UA account. Anyway to open and get a few points in there?

I was leaning toward AA bc they fly non-stop to Seattle and I don't think UA does. But I may save the UA miles for another trip.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Open & transfer UR Points using your Sapphire Preferred. =)

marcwint55 and mommypoints like this.
  11. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some good advice here already. You do need to space out the Chase applications, but focusing on some alliances/partners is a good strategy. I would concur with each of you ending up with the Sapphire Preferred and Amex SPG. They are so valuable that might as well get the bonus twice (one for each).

I will add that if you mean flights paid with UR redemption as in you used the points as cash, then you may be well served by some of the cards like the Citi Thank You. Most around these parts redeem points by transferring to airline and hotel partners as you can often get the best bang for your buck, but no one redemption is best for everyone. ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track with this advice and the cards you already have!

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. kelly0726

kelly0726 Member

Status Points:
    I redeemed for Southwest rr during their sale 2 weeks ago. I cashed in 76k UR points for rr that I was able to redeem for 5 rt BWI-LAX non-stop tickets. Cash price during the sale would have been over 1400.00 (and over 1800 on every other carrier), so I thought that was ok. Could I have done better? I am still learning, so please let me know, lol!

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    As stated, you can transfer UR pts to UA. People were earning UA miles via Top Guest/foursquare check in, but that appears to be on hold, or not taking new people.

UA does not, but US Airways does fly from PHL-SEA nonstop. You can use UA miles for award redemption on US Airways. However, if you plan on going nuts with AA CC's (potentially 3 personals (VISA, AX, and MC) + 1 business card per person), then that can work as well. It all depends on where you want to go...but deals are out there.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering UA RT BWI-LAX is 25k per person I'd say you came out pretty well :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the 2 browser trick worked for the TY Preferred cards as well. The application and signup bonus for MC and Visa are the same - you only select which card on the application itself. As far as I know, the best signup bonus is still 50,000 points.

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you did pretty well with that one! I don't get bogged down with how many cents per mile you are getting for your points, but it is something to at least be aware of. Booking Southwest tickets on points during sales is the exact right way to use them (since it is tied to the selling price of the ticket). Enjoy your trip!

marcwint55 likes this.
  17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you're traveling with that many people, i'd concentrate on Southwest for my airline and most any hotel credit card. the priority club visa 80k offer might benefit you, greatly. if you can find pointsbreak options (5k+) or last minute weekend deals (7.5k+) you can really stretch those points. they're both from chase, though.

SW still has the 50k premier card, right? if you can get that and then another 50k SW card before year-end, and get an extra 10k points through CC spend, you can get the companion pass. that takes care of two tix, and you could use all the points you've accumulated for the remainder.

first year not waived for SW but for what you get in return it's definitely worth it.

MX, lotso-bear and marcwint55 like this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. I would look into the gold business Amex card as they presently have a 75k bonus. You don't really need a business as you can tell them you are self employed. The card is fee free for the first year. The US airways and Alaska airways cards from Barclays are churnable and you can usually cancel them before the first fee and still get the bonus miles. Apply for two Citicards at the same time as it will only cost you one hit on the credit report.

19. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also apply for the regular offer and get the bonus bumped by sending Chase a secure message. This has worked for numerous people that I know, and I have yet to have anyone tell me they've been denied the bump. Sometimes, this is easier than transferring miles in to your United account.

20. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Southwest CC bonus dropped to 25k on May 17. When I missed out on the SW 50k earlier this year, I think it returned after a month or two.

21. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. jazzalbart

jazzalbart Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend you to find the right Credit Card to meet your needs. You can choose from cash back cards, student cards, daily use cards and travel rewards cards. Choose a credit card with low interest rate.

credit card processing company