looking for complete list of who offers one way awards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    does anyone know a good solid list of which FF programs offer one way awards?
    With all these big CC bonuses, i am accumulating miles for the main goal of flying J/F awards. I actually do not get the chance to travel as often as I like, so by far, 90+% of all my miles are acheived by bonuses and spending. Some of my FF accts, e.g. BA will never get much farther past the 100k bonus i got from the CC, except any minor spending i will do to make it enough for an award. So I think long term i will be looking at mixing and matching one-way awards.

UA is an easy one way
    we know CO does not, but eventually the merger will have all one ways, right?
    Aeroplan?
    BA? the best OW awards using the BA miles, such as LAN to south america etc?
    AA does, right?
    dont really care about DL and skypesos
    since AMEX MR is big, the transfer partners using one way awards? ANA?
    US air?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few:

Alaska
    Air tran
    AA
    SAS
    UA
    US

3. tothetrail

tothetrail Active Member

Status Points:
    US does offer one-way awards, but it costs the same number of miles as a round trip.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't every airline technically offer one way under these assumptions then? You can just book a RT and not take the return.

5. tothetrail

tothetrail Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, so if I were just interested in one-ways, I wouldn't necessarily select US or other airlines that don't offer discounted one-way awards.

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air France and KLM offer one-way awards.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not exactly the same in that to book a RT, you must find appropriate award inventory. In some situations, there might be blackout dates or there might not be any return segments available without paying more miles at the time you book the trip. If you don't have an elite reissue and redeposit waiver, in some situations it can effectively cost more miles to book the RT even though the OW costs the same as a RT on the award charts.

Another difference concerns the fees, taxes, and fuel surcharges which normally are lower for OW than RT. The difference can be significant, for example for business class travel to London OW versus RT.

DL does this. You can now get one way awards for the same price in miles as RT awards.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good points.

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    NZ awards are oneway