Looking for advice on traveling with titanium parts

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by virvin69, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. virvin69

virvin69 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I just recently had to have a total knee replacement and a neck fusion. Both surgeries involved having titanium implanted. I travel a lot for work and have the CLEAR card plus the trusted traveler status. At DIA, I can get through pretty quick with the CLEAR card. Recently they added the trusted traveler lane and I was so excited to not have to take off my shoes and not have to remove my laptop and liquids. That excitement was short lived when I realized they didn't have the body scanner but only had the metal detector. So, I went through and the TSA agent asked if I had anything in my pockets. I replied "no" but did inform him I had a titanium knee. He sighed and then called for a female agent for a pat-down. I had to wait almost ten minutes for a female to become available for the pat-down. Now I have to refuse the trusted traveler invite and just go through the body scanners. I imagine it's only going to get worse now that I have titanium plate and screws in my neck. Any advice?

2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have two options....
    1. Body scanner --
    2. Pat down.

You do not have to use the body scanner and can always opt for the pat down. Even in the PreCheck lane.

I refuse to wait longer than 5 minutes for my Pat down when there isn't a Precheck lane. I refuse the scanner every time. When I am not screened within 5 minutes (and as a female, it is always that way), I request a supervisor. I tell them I have waited enough and that my screening needs to happen now. Once the supervisor, a female, ended up doing my screening herself.

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it a TSA requirement to use same gender agents for pat downs? Seems like it should be left up to the passengers -- just like choosing which gender doctor to go to for an intimate exam.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frustrating as it is to wait for a TSA agent, refusing to wait and demanding to be searched immediately sounds like a formula to get yourself ejected.

milchap likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agents are not known for their flexibility.....indeed a recipe for trouble.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really. Passengers can "demand" all they want. What it boils down to is the demeanor the TSA person involved. Some, like the supervisor mentioned above, will just do it. Others will just tell you to wait.