Looking for advice on booking award ticket to South Africa

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mike1625, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, forgive me if this is the wrong place.... since it cut across all 3 airline alliances it seemed like the best place to put it.

I won an incredible auction for a 3 night stay at an awesome resort near Cape Town. South Africa with some meals included (for an insane price of $1, but that isn't important now) ..... it has to be used by the end of the year, finally I knew my work schedule would only allow the week between Christmas and New Years, so I have the place 12/28 to 12/31.

Here are my parameters: I can leave after 4PM on 12/25 or all day 12/26 or 12/27. I can return on 12/31 anytime or possibly 1/1/12 if I get back home on 1/1/12 (I have to work 1/2/12).
    I prefer to depart from TPA, but MCO, SRQ, RSW, or even MIA/FLL could work. CPT is the prefered destination, but I can live with JNB and buy a ticket from JNB to CPT. I really want to fly Business or First, but it is only for 1 passenger. I also don't have much money to spend, so I need to book an award either without YQ surcharges or reasonable YQ (I think that means BA is out). Stopovers in route (if I left the 25 or 26) would be welcome, but not needed.

I have 170k Delta Miles
    325k AA miles
    160k United miles.

I have looked online at all 3 airlines sites, called all 3 and used expertflyer to search for availability and found nothing. I asked AA about Ethiad, Delta about Malaysian, KLM and Air France and United about both South African and all of their Eurpoean partners. All came up with nothing. I am prepared to just throw away my $1 deal and not go, but I would really like to go. I am willing to get there via the Pacific, but don't know if the airlines will allow it (Delta seems like a yes, AA seems like a no, United I am not sure of)

As a side note, if I go, and anyone out there (in particular if you can help me, but even if you can't) wants to go, I am glad to share the place I am staying with you at no cost. I can share details if anyone expresses an interest.

Quasiconvexity and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you possibly leave a day before?

I found this so far:
    TPA-IAH-LHR on CO1482 and CO4 in C
    Depart: December 24 at 9:00AM
    Arrive: December 25 at 9:40AM

LHR-CPT on VS603 in C
    Depart: December 25 at 8:35PM
    Arrive: December 26 at 10:30AM

Mike1625 likes this.
  3. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really appreciate this, sadly I can't use it. My wife doesn't want to go. Iin my world, I can celebrate Christmas on another day, she wouldn't accept a Christmas celebration on anything by 12/25, as much as I want to go, not spending Christmas with my wife is not an option.

While it is awesome to look up flights for me, and thank you very much, also feel free to just tell me suggestions for valid routings that the airline reps would not have searched that I can ask for or do my own searches for. Things like routings via South America or Asia. I know expertflyer did not have it, anyone have a way to search South African Airways award inventory in C online?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about the wife :(

CO's website has been pretty good when it comes to searching availability on partner airlines and they do show SAA's availability. The only two cities they fly out of the US from are IAD and JFK so that is something to consider so availability might be tough. CO's routing rules are pretty flexible as well for one-ways for example I have an itinerary that I booked with CO miles for BKK-NRT-ICN-FRA-EWR all in F for 70K miles. AA's routing rules are direct and I believe you cannot go TPAC to the African continent. You can only go TATL so that means going through South America might be possible.

When I search award tickets, I usually search for availability on the segments that I feel might have zero availability. So for your case, I looked up the Europe-CPT segment first then the US-Europe segment. Finding what airlines fly to the airport helps a lot so you will get an understanding of what airlines fly to the airport nonstop. Personally, I use Wiki for this and it's been useful but others might disagree.

Mike1625 likes this.
  5. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got it!!!!!!

MCO/IAD/LHR/JNB/CPT (48 hours to get there) ... then CPT/FRA/MCO coming home, all in Business!!!!!! 120k miles

A huge thank you to Jimgotkp whose tip sent me to Continental.com 's search, I had been using United's before. It all came together so nicely. Wow, I am through the roof excited!!!!!!

Serious note - if anyone wants to talk to be about meeting me in CPT ... I really do have a place to stay and room for someone else!

Toula and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you got everything figured out! :) Your wife said yes? :p

Mike1625 likes this.
  7. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My promise to my wife was to spend Christmas with her, I don't leave until 12/26 .... I wish she would go (even if I don't have the miles for her) .... but she wants nothing to do with that much flying time.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch :( Time to get some personal time and relax ;)

Mike1625 likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Sometimes traveling by myself is nice (even though I love traveling with my wife) since I can make all decisions as I want them to be and change at a moments' notice.

Mike1625 likes this.