Looking for advice about healthl insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tiffany01, Jun 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiffany01

Tiffany01 Member

Status Points:
    Next month I am going to Germany with my husband. I am 22 weeks pregnant. I think in this situation insurance is must. What would be best for me travel insurance or health insurance? I am not sure does German government provide health insurance for traveler? One of my German Facebook friend recommend me to visit this site. I got some information from this site but looking for more. I am not sure what I have to do? Please someone help me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Newscience, uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know that I'll be of much help. Insurance can be confusing, but I agree that you should get some. I go through Insuremytrip.com. I've only done this twice: once traveling with my father, and once traveling with my daughter who has some specific medical conditions. In both cases I ended up selecting a product from Blue Cross called Geo Blue or something like that. In part, it was the name Blue Cross that helped me select it. Good luck and have fun!

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, most travel insurance policies don't cover pregnancy. Check with your health insurance company and see if they can provide you with an international policy.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This site says:
    Generally all travel insurance policies exclude pregnancy and childbirth. However, they usually have an exemption to the exclusion for complications of pregnancy.
    http://www.quotewright.com/weblog/pregnancy-–-is-it-covered-by-travel-insurance/

It specifically mentions insurance sold in NYC. But I think that gives you something to look for when you are looking at policies. SquareMouth.com is another comparison site similar to Insuremytrip.com. Read closely the terms on the medical coverage and see if it covers complications related to pregnancy.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is, without a doubt, the most important thing to do when choosing a policy, whether pregnant or not.

anileze likes this.