Looking for a starting point.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Aug 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I know that everybody has a different answer but I'm just looking for a range here. (A current range not what it used to be 5 , 10 or 15 years ago in the "good ole days.")

What is a "decent" cost per mile to look for when booking milage runs? I just did a couple random ones for the Jan time frame and found IAH-HKG for .08 ...... IAH-SEA for .05 ......IAH-LHR for .08. Are these good rates or not? (Also found EWR for .23)

Just looking for a starting point as to when I should jump on it or wait till the next bus comes along. My schedule is pretty open so I can fly any time of the year any day of the week. (the joys of being self employed).

p.s. I hope this is not covered in depth in a previous post. I went back a few months and didn't see any threads on this topic, but I might have missed it. if so sorry.

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything under 3cpEQM I consider a pretty solid deal. Anything under 5 I will think about. Anything else is just a trip.

While it is definitely harder to find the 3cpEQM trips today than it was 5 years ago, there are still many out there for folks with some flexibility and willingness to be impulsive.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Ok, i feel like a dumb arse now, didn't even notice that milage run section.

And 5cpm is about the cut off point, I can live with that. Living in Houston, IAH is only a short drive so last minute trips work for me.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    .05 cpm is about my max. maybe .06 if its to a nice city or on a widebody, and if I'm a bit desperate to get airborne.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    if you can get to msy, UA is showing 290ish AI from MSY to ANC late sept to oct.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is only $425 ex-LGA for 9 Sept - 11 Oct. Harder to position for the OP but it might help some others looking.

8. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Guess I need to brush up on my airport codes, big surprise when I saw MSY was New Orleans. Some reason I thought Minnie/St Paul. But anyway, that ANC run in early Oct (with the extra flight to MSY from IAH $170) works out to about 6pm.

Do you folks find most of these specials on the airlines website? I see continental has a .com specials section. is that where you all start? I'd help post some of them, to do my part of adding info, if I knew where to look.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I use kayak as a starting point, but find ua.com will have more creative routing, plus cheaper fares sometimes....another couple of good places to start;

ITA ( you need to set up a free account)
    and
    Fare compare

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I remember back in the day when one wouldn't really go over 2 cents. :)

The standard, not too exciting deal, was the $200 transcon. :eek:

techgirl and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  11. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    ok thanks. I will check those out when i get some free time.