Looking for a cheap hotel in Barcelone

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TAHKUCT, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to help my aunt. She is traveling on a budget and would like to stay at a hotel under $100 per night preferably with breakfast included. Being it Barcelona, I do not know if it is even possible. If anybody has suggestions, please let me know.

tondoleo likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    When price is the main driving factor I like using Priceline. If nothing else, it helps address the paradox of choice: no more agonizing over exactly what hotel you get -- you take what they give you. More often than not, these will be larger chain hotels, and you will almost never see smaller boutique properties. And, unfortunately for your aunt, a Priceline room will almost never include breakfast.

You can use Better Bidding and Bidding Traveler to see what hotels people have been getting and at what price points. Both sites are funded by referral kickbacks from Priceline. If you'd like to collect those kickbacks yourself, you can get 2% back through FatWallet. It can often be worthwhile to check Hotwire for baseline rates, too. Assume that Priceline will be about 15% cheaper at the same star level. I prefer bidding on Priceline to taking Hotwire offers: the properties seem a little more consistent.

Outside the US, Priceline zones tend to be relatively large. They just split the main Barcelona zone, which is a bit of a win. Outside the US, I have a strong tendency to prefer five star hotels: they tend to be in better places, and there's usually more of a savings off of published rates than at the lower star levels. On the down side, they tend to charge more for extras like Internet access and breakfast than the three and four star hotels. And in Barcelona, you'll probably have trouble meeting your aunt's price point with a 5*. Depending on your aunt's tastes, four star can be just fine, also.

Normally I'd advise taking the time to learn about "free" rebids and how to optimize your bidding so as to not overpay. In Barcelona, the opportunities for that are limited. There's only one free rebid at the 5* level and none at the 4* level. Instead, you'll have to just rebid once per day (after 24 hours) and perhaps play with dates of stay. If your aunt is willing to risk moving hotels during her stay, you could take advantage of the fact that priceline will let you TRY to extend your stay at the same property. They allow the attempt only once, only at one end of the booked stay, and for no more days than the original stay (e.g. if you booked two nights, you can try to add two but not three). So you could bid for half of her stay (esp. if it's an even number of nights) and then, separately, the other half. And then you could try half+1 on one end and then half+1 on the other. Then half+2 on one end and half+2 on the other. So long at the date ranges on each bid do not fall fully within the ranges of a SINGLE OTHER bid, you can keep going like that. But your aunt runs the risk of having to move mid-stay.

CharlesG and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a look at this place Hotel Torre Catalunya
    Located near transportation, good value. Can fall into the $100 range depending the time of year.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. This property looks nice. However pitching is high for her travel dates. Around 800 euros plus tax for 6 days :(

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is more likely in her range. Thanks. Have you stayed there?

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not. My friend is familiar with this property. She said it's more of a small family type of property, very friendly staff, good location and priced right. Not packed with amenities, but a great place to stay for the price.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

sobore likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent a few nights at the Hilton Diagonal Mar in Barcelona last year after finding it on Priceline. A bit distant and corporate, but not awful, and I actually enjoyed walking to and from the hotel once or twice along the beach.

sobore and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used Air B and B inBarcelona and was very happy with my booking. AirB and B hooks you up with individuals offering a bedroom/bath in their home. Being able to stay with a local resident gives you great insight to the City. Www.airbandb.com

TRAVELSIG, TAHKUCT and sobore like this.
  11. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    HOTEL CURIOUS!!! I stayed here last year for 3 nights - I loved it! Very inexpensive, right off Las Ramblas - friendly staff - nice breakfast - safe. They are on facebook and twitter, and will answer any email right away.

http://www.hotelcurious.com/

TAHKUCT, YULtide and sobore like this.
  12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks very nice and cheap, but not available for all the dates that my aunt needs :(

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will suggest this to her. Any specific one you can recommend?

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long is she staying for? Three years or so ago I found an apartment rental by far the best deal for my family. One of the greatest pleasures of Barcelona are the food markets and it was doubly nice to have a kitchen available. You usually need to spend a minimum of three or four nights for an apartment, however.

In Barcelona location is everything. It's a large city and really several different cities stuck together. Your experience is very different living in the gothic quarter and Eixample. I did notice, however, that some business hotels towards the Montjuic had very, very good rates during the summer

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    She wants to go for about 6 nights end of March.

16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would she consider an apartment? There are many, many respectable sites renting apartments. Seems pretty easy to find places for about 80 Euro a night at that time; with some searching I'm sure you can do better (and I think the place I contacted when we stayed offered a substantial discount in their first email that wasn't reflected on the web site).

TAHKUCT likes this.
  17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will need to check with her on that.

18. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh, that's too bad. I loved the hotel. did you actually contact them?

YULtide and TAHKUCT like this.
  19. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Checked online availability.

20. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one I used wouldn't be appropriate for her. There are lots of possibilities.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  21. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best western Hotel Dante:) If your aunt is over (I think 55) they have a discount (you can see it online) Last month I paid less than usd $100/night but without breakfast. They do offer FREE coffee or tea delivered by room service except for a few hours in the middle of the night. There is a super market next door so it would be easy to pick up pastry, fresh bread (they put baguettes out at least twice a day freshly baked and warm and less than $1, easy to buy some cheese or..... and the rooms have mini fridge aka mini bar to store the extra.
    I wrote a review on trip advisor.

22. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The rate there for her days is 120 euro which is much more then what she wants to spend.

23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow I guess I got a deal! Although I did notice the rates seem to vary quite a lot and I was there in Feb probably not high season.
    If she is traveling alone did she put in one person? There are smaller rooms that are a bit cheaper if u put in one person-but I was upgraded to a larger room (dbl) so I never actually saw the smaller one. It might be worth checking back as my rate at another bw actually DROPPED closer to the date but I had to cancel and rebook.
    When is the trip?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Will be checking prices again. There are 2 people total will be staying together.

25. joinajmmi

joinajmmi New Member

Status Points:
    There are so many people offers hotels deals and promo on Groupon.com. Last time i visit to Miami with my family and stayed 3 days and 2 nights in five star hotel at very reasonable rate using coupons, deals and promos from RetailMeNot.com, Fatwallet.com, CouponPark.com and Savings.com where i picked hot deals on Travelocity, hotels.com and Expedia.com and made my trip very cheap.