Longest distance between gates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jparker, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been flying for over 25+ years and today I had what I am convinced is the longest walk between gates I have ever. In MSP I arrived at F16 and had to go to A14 and the shuttle tram was out of order. Theses gates are literally at opposite ends of the airport. I have walked out to the E concourse in ATL and have had some long walk son international arrivals but don't think those were close to this.

Has anyone ever seen quantified data on longest distances between gates or has a personal experience?

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say that I have ever seen any actual data specific to your question, but I was curious and pulled up Google maps for the ATL area and used the ruler to guestimate the distance between the furthest 2 gates. It looks like if you walked from T1 to the underground tunnel, walked from T to A to B to C to D to E and then walked down to E1, you would walk right at 1.5 miles. I haven't been to the new F Concourse, so this is wild speculation as to how things are laid out, but it looks like getting to F1 would bring you up to 1.75 miles.

uggboy likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In MSP, there are tricks. You had a long and IME rather unpleasant walk due to congestion in the areas you probably walked through.

From the far F gates, there's no choice but to walk toward the SC at the start of the F concourse. F is usually crowded so it can be frustrating. Also no moving sidewalks. However, just before the SC, there's a hallway that cuts to the right as a shortcut to the G concourse. You probably passed that and instead turned left into the main commercial mall area. This is also congested, with no moving sidewalks and lots of window shoppers who tend to suddenly stop right in front of you. Frustrating. Then you would have gone the length of C, where there are wide moving sidewalks as well as the (inoperable when you were there) tram. The A and B gates start at the far end of C.

A better way to walk is to go right as you near the start of F, walk the length of G (something like G7 through G20), then go left onto the skyway connector with airside moving sidewalks at the back of the parking garage. This takes you directly to the end of C, where the A and B gates start.

Better yet is to look for an electric golf cart, free and available to all, to give you a ride to your gate. (Some people tip; I do, especially for nonstop fast service when I'm running late.)

LizzyDragon84 and jparker like this.
  4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tip! You are correct in that I had no idea of the shortcut. Luckily, I had plenty of time. Thanks!

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if you would go on foot from B39 to E39 at DFW you might be able to qualify for a marathon. I don't have Google Earth to draw it out, but I expect someone here to check the distance.

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the walking path is laid out the way I'm guessing it is, you're pushing 2.2 miles.

7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has to be from one end of C at IAD to the other end of D. 1 mile

8. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    ORD far C gate at United over to the last gate at American is very far.

druiddation likes this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My longest recently was from D40 at MIA to Blue 27 Baggage Claim then to the Rental Car Counter. (did not find the SkyTrain, so hoofed it all the way, dragging MapWife's bags behind me. Think it was about a mile and a half.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we count the gate to gate distances that require transportation? MSP Terminal 1 <> 2 requires the light rail or a taxi, DTW is another, many Australian airports between domestic and international, NRT or CDG between terminals 1 and 2, etc.

11. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic <-> intl at BOM is probably the longest hike on earth in that regard...

Or maybe to/from T5 at LHR.

12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are so unlucky to arrive in BKK at A6 and need to transfer to E9 I'd say you have your work cut out for you. It must be close to 2.5 km.

13. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we're counting gates that require transportation, the distance between Heathrow's T4 and T5 is approximately 3 miles according to Google Earth.

14. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    LGA is over two miles between Terminal A (Delta) and Terminal D (also Delta).

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to say that if you include non-US airports, LHR and CDG would seem to hold the record. In fact, I'm not even sure you can walk between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.

16. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not including, in my original thoughts, places like DFW or MCI where you cannot really walk between terminals. I remember CDG being a pretty long walk but can't remember if you can walk between terminals. In the case of MSP or ATL, you are walking between concourses.

17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thankfully they have the little trains. :))