longest account closed due compromised informatio

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Schali, Feb 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I wanted to jump on the US Airways Barclay's CC prior the merger and checked my credit scoring online to realize that it dropped by 50 points.
    They closed my 1st CC account which is obviously the oldest one and opened a new account.
    I received a replacement card in the mail - that's it.

I called the bank and they said that it was reported as stolen or lost and this shouldn't impact anything. I called Transunion and they just repeated what the bank reported to them - closed because it was reported stolen or lost.

My understanding is that a new CC number should not impact the account - correct?

I don't know how to proceed here - did anybody encountered something similar and can give me some advice how to get this report straight?

Am I wrong here and a new CC number means a new account?

Any feedback welcome.

Thank you all!!!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is highly unusual and a puzzle. A card that is reported as lost or stolen should not result in a new account being issued. Rather, you should just get a new credit card with a different number, which should not affect the account number because the two are different. Just as equally puzzling is why that should result in such a large drop in your credit score...:confused:

3. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least I have an answer to the large drop in my credit score - immigrant and received my first card in 2009

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not get it. Is the credit score drop at all related to the other issue of lost & found card? If so, then it's still a puzzle because that should do nothing to you credit score. It would seem that they are penalizing you for losing the card or because someone stole it...

5. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I check the score online it tells me now that my accounts were opened too recently - and I didn't have this before. And the score drop happened exactly when the account was closed.

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    How are you checking your credit score?

7. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kreditkarma and after I saw the closed account I signed up for Transunion.

8. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    closure - it seems like I updated my report exactly when the card was reported stolen and this particular credit card number account was closed and the card with the new number was reported as a new account - however after 1 week the two reports are merged and everything is back to normal (except the score).

You are right @NYCUA 1K the drop must be from the recent CC application and something else - however I still cannot explain the steep drop of 30 point. Thank you tho for your 2 cents - highly appreciated!!!!