Long weekend in Thailand - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYBanker, May 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I've been all over the place, but never to Thailand. I have a two week business trip to north Asia, and was thinking of going down to Thailand for a long weekend during the trip to do a bit of personal recon in advance of a larger family trip (coming from the States) that's loosely on the boards for the next 2 or so years. I'd also actually quite welcome some R+R myself for a day or so. Been a pretty stressful period for me of late.

My tentative plan is as follows:
    1 Fly down from NRT on Friday evening, arriving BKK around 1030pm
    2 Spend much of Saturday exploring BKK
    3 Saturday evening (perhaps a 6pm departure) fly to HKT
    4 Spend two nights at the Aman (or Trisara if Aman is booked)
    5 Monday evening - fly HKT-BKK-NRT (with the flight to Tokyo being a redeye)

I know the flights to/from Thailand are circa 6-7 hours. That doesn't phase me.

A few questions:
    A--Does this seem reasonable?
    B--I've done no research on BKK (this trip is just coming together suddenly), are there two things I "must do/see" there?
    C--What else should I be thinking of?
    D--Any meaningful safety concerns in BKK (assuming I stay on the beaten path)?

I appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

rwoman and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I took a look through some of the threads there.

Any further thoughts from MP'ers on these specific questions would be welcome.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is you hotel preference in Bangkok? I guess for one night stay it shouldn't matter. But for an R+R stop, I'd pick a riverside location. Bangkok is a 24/7 metropolis, and even if you are arriving at 10:30 PM, there are many places to frequent or dine provided you are staying in a central location. For Bangkok accommodations, look at this thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/which-hilton-property-in-bangkok.32636/#post-1320371
    Sure, as long as it is tacked at the end/beginning of another Asian stop versus taking an intercontinental flight to stay just few days
    Bangkok has a lot to offer in terms of things one must do/see. I'd do the temples/palaces using either the 30 baht express boat or the private long tail boat river tour.
    Most everything is covered here: Thailand Do's & Don'ts ... further questions, please ask!
    Just common sense as Bangkok is much safer than most major N. American cities.
    Let us know, if you have any questions then also! :) Thailand is amazing! Enjoy your trip!

5. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would make sure you see the Grand Palace - it's a must for anyone on their first trip. 2-3 hours max there.
    Take a private long boat tour of the Chao Paraya river and have the driver stop at the Temple of Dawn, Floating Market, the Orchid Gardens (if you like flowers). 2-3 hours (depending how much time you spend at the Temple, etc...
    Visit the Jim Thompson House - amazing tour and great restaurant for lunch.
    If you have time, and you're there on a weekend, visit the Chatuchak market.

NYBanker, eponymous_coward and Kalboz like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas!