Long UK weekend: suggestions between London and Bath?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TheBeerHunter, Nov 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I have a long weekend in London coming up In a couple weeks. We've been before, but havent travelled much outside London in England.

Up until today, I thought we had a total of four nights in country, but we actually have five. Unfortunately, the hotel we are staying at in London doesn't have points availability for a third night, and my husband prefers to stay put in a city once we are there, so switching hotels for just one night is not something he will consider unless there is no better option. And so we are considering heading to Bath earlier than we originally planned.

Is there enough to do in Bath to warrant three nights there? We were heading there to attend a show, though were planning on looking around a bit before that. Is there somewhere between London and Bath that we might consider stopping off for a night in between?

2. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Consider staying in Cardiff...... Good jumping off point as well. Does he golf, the riders cup was there a few years ago. Bath is great, architechure ect, but i dont see being their for 3 days. Great day trip or overnight by my standards, but i will let other chime in.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree: 3 nights is too long for Bath. You could think about stopping off in Henley, Windsor, Oxford, Salisbury, or one of the Cotswold villages. See Stonehenge (won't take long) and Avebury. These aren't quite on the way but not too much of a detour (assuming you are driving). Depends really on what you like: antiques - you could spend a fasinating half day or more in Hungerford.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to you both for your feedback. Actually, we're taking the train, not driving, which needs to be factored in as well -- and why I made the "on the way" comment.

We aren't golfers or into antiques. We are very interested in history, the outdoors, food, beer... :)

Are there reasonable day trips we could do from Bath?

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you done Windsor & Eton? :) Oxford is not to far away as well.