Long and I Mean Long Layovers

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by FetePerfection, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's with DL's flight schedules these days? I've been trying to book MSP-GCM and with the exception of one flight, the rest of the itineraries have 12+ hour layovers in ATL. I don't understand why. Of course the only flight with a reasonable layover is a K fare, so does it really boil down to revenue? How does a 12 - 18 or more hour layover improve DL revenue?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the subject, I figured this was for a reward ticket. The problem is your feeder flights getting to ATL. Price out a one way from MSP - ATL and then ATL-GCM. Then you might be able to piece together an itinerary using the multi stop. I have once found it cheaper to book 2 separate tickets.

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a big problem with their "logic" for booking international flights. What I've usually experienced is, suppose you say you want to fly on a Sunday, but there's a cheaper published fare on Monday. Thus, they book you on the feeder on your scheduled day and then out on the international flight the next day, when the lower fare is available. The stupid thing is that the lower fare is usually about $20 cheaper on an $800 ticket.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what she said... to the thread title.

bakedpatato and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL must have changed their schedule since I've not experienced this before but at least I understand the reason for this but not DL reasoning. One-way didn't help. I may just book an I fare, get bonus miles and a short layover then. Thanks for the feedback and The Office reference...off topic, I'm surprised Michael Scott isn't on MP now that he's off The Office.

6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe DL only flies one flight per day into GCM (10:10 from ATL). That means you either have to fly on seperate days or get that first flight out of MSP. The only way to do that may be to book seperately. Of course then you risk missing your connection with any delays and not having it on the same rez I have heard can cause issues.

I don't know when you're trying to go, but I got the 5:25 am MSP-ATL-GCM (1 hr 12 min layover) to come up no problem a/i $355.60 during May. Maybe play with it some, see if you can't get it to put those two flights together.

Good luck!

FetePerfection likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When delta.dumb wants to write your ticket in a way that yo don't like, call them. DM agents can force it into whatever fare code and flights you want, assuming availability of seats in the correct inventory bucket. If you would otherwise be charged a phone ticketing fee, explain why you can't do what you need on line and they will waive the fee, possibly passing the call on to DL tech support,

I've had issues with connections where the lowest fare isn't the same for all segments. For example, if I need to fly MSP-DTW-SYR and DTW-SYR is available in K class but MSP-DTW only in H for the flights I want, delta.dumb tends to break the fare and price the segments separately, then add them together, resulting in a fate that is much higher than MSP-(DTW)-SYR all in H. The phone agents can fix this and do the ticket with every segment in H. They can also force one fare code for outbound and a different one for the return if the combination is permitted by fare rules.

jmrich1432 and BamaGirl like this.
  8. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had to do that quite a it recently. It's a shame DL.com can't handle it. *slaps forehead* What am I saying? It can't even handle a seat change :rolleyes:.

Gargoyle, MSPeconomist and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's another thing that they'd rather not fix very fast. There must be people who pay more than necessary for tickets because they don't realize that delta.dumb is breaking the fare at connections. I've seen a lot of nonrefundable tickets offered that cost much more than full Y because of this "glitch."

BamaGirl likes this.
  10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I was going to say. I see those kinds of layovers on Carribean flights. It is really frustrating to keep on seeing that.

11. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1