Long airport waits cost economy, travel group says

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/18/3635872/long-airport-waits-cost-economy.html

Lines for international passengers waiting to go through customs and immigration at Miami International Airport have been so lengthy that airport workers have handed out water to tired travelers. The airport has installed televisions to keep people entertained and is working to quicken the process.

Those waits — approaching a maximum of five hours in Miami earlier this year — are not just annoying to passengers, a travel-industry group said Wednesday. The delays could also cost the U.S. billions of dollars.

In a report released Wednesday, the U.S. Travel Association argued that long lines and delays to enter the country could cost the economy more than $12 billion a year and thousands of jobs. That’s both because of money not being spent during the wait in line — $416 million — as well as $11.8 billion in potential spending lost because travelers decided against coming to the U.S. because of the entry process.

Read More: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/18/3635872/long-airport-waits-cost-economy.html

anileze, marcwint55, Mapsmith and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    nearly 5 hours???!!!!! holy cow, what a buzzkill to end/start a trip.

sobore, uggboy, anileze and 3 others like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm not surprised.

My worst US immigration experience to date was a 3 hour wait at MIA on Christmas Day evening. By the time I got to the hotel their restaurant had closed :(

Sweet Willie, sobore, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I've seen long and short lines in MIA and fortunately global entry has saved me from both. While I am certainly not an expert, I truly think that the US Travel Association has greatly exaggerated their numbers. It would be quite difficult to ascertain that people did not come to America due to the entry process and highly unlikely they would not come here because of that. Most people allow time to go through immigration and customs when they enter another country, so the $416,000,000.00 not spent waiting in line also seems a bit ridiculous to me.

sobore, uggboy and anileze like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course they have. That's their job, though. Sortof.

My favorite bit is how they are blaming the sequestration for many of the issues when, in fact, the worst months they cite in the report are from the pre-sequestration era. That's not to say that the long lines are good, but hard to blame the sequester.

marcwint55 and anileze like this.
  6. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be passing through MIA next spring. Reading this fills me with joy (NOT!). You know something's wrong when you're honestly worried a four-hour connection time may actually not be long enough...

Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your american you'll be fine. The loooonnngg waits are for foreigners.

Most likely 4 hours will be ample to connect.

Wandering Aramean and marcwint55 like this.