Lonely Planet "Not For Parents" Guides

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Feb 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    I recently came across a collection of Lonely Planet books geared towards kids.

Lonely Planet Not-For-Parents books aren't guide books. They offer interesting stories and "facts about people, places, history and culture from around the world".

The series was created because Lonely Planet felt that an important group of travelers- kids, were being left out. The books are intended for kids 8 years and up. I looked for more info about the series and found out that the books came out in October 2011 with 5 titles. The series now includes 11 titles and a box set.

The Not-For-Parents Titles:
    1. The Travel Book
    2. New York
    3. Extreme Planet
    4. How To Be A World Explorer
    5. Paris
    6. Rome
    7. Australia
    8. China
    9. London
    10. Box Set (London, Paris, NY & bonus Travel Activity Book)
    11. Great Britain
    12. USA
    While at Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago, I saw a few of the titles in the kids section. I took a few minutes to skim through the Not For Parents Travel Book.
    It was hard cover and looked like a nice coffee table book. Every country has it's own page and there were lots of photos and images inside. It looked like a fun read for kids interested in learning a little something about every country in the world.

If Lucas was a bit older, I'd definitely look into getting him some of these books.
    Check out all of the Not For Parents titles by Lonely Planet HERE

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's never too early for travel and reading, interesting books and destinations. Thanks for sharing.

GoodBoy, MLW20 and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good series of books. I love "I scream and kick in-flight, my parents do nothing" A must have for parents! :p

GoodBoy, MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice parents. :D

GoodBoy and MLW20 like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have put a couple of the titles into my store. They do appear to be more like Coffee Table Books than Kid based Travel guides. Unfortunately, they do not sell well in my store. Part is the hard cover and thickness of the book. It makes it more of a "Book" than something kids would actually read. The information is good but unless the kid is already a Travel Fan, it probably will not get much traction..

We see these types of publications come out on a rather regular basis, both books and maps. What actually happens is a "Senior Editor" at a publishing house gets promoted or retires. His/Her replacement just happens to have kids in the 7-10 year old range and thinks that a series designed for this age group is a good idea. However, as the Replacement Editor's kids age out of that range, they find that the interest in continuing the series is not there. Thus the series disappears until the next Replacement Editor with kids shows up.

But LP does good guides for whatever age. The important thing is to get the kids involved in Travel.

GoodBoy and MLW20 like this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely true!
    Did you write this title! lol
    I am probably going to pick up a couple of these titles soon. My son is 13 months now, a bit young for this kind of thing obviously but the pictures might be fun to look at. (I might enjoy it too lol) It's too bad they made these books more into a reference book rather than a travel guide. I love the idea of the books. When my son is a little older, it would be great to be able to get him an age appropriate guide book for some destinations and let him pick some things he would like to do...

Mapsmith, GoodBoy and uggboy like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Michael, Actually there are very few travel guides that are designed for kids. One of the best I have found only has three (maybe up to five now) guides and only to the cities. They are Cooper's Pack To ______ Available for Paris, London, New York, and I think now available, DC and Rome. They follow the travel of Cooper. a 4" stuffed Lamb that visits the cities and meets other stuffed animals and explores the sights. In London, they visit the Eye, Buckminster Palace for Changing of the Guard, etc. They are designed for the 2-6 year old and it works as a great Parent-Child read along.

For actually getting the kids involved in travel, I have always suggested to my customers, that when traveling with kids from about 3 to 12, one of the easiest things to do to make the trip memorable, is to plan a trip to a local playground in the destination cities.
    Kids being kids, even if they cannot speak the language, they can get involved with other kids in a soccer match, a game of tag, or anything else kids all over the world do when at play. (It will also tire them out so you can sleep) And it is possible that even you can make connections with other parents who may suggest other places to take the kids. Such as good family friendly restaurants.

Oops, sorry, seems like I am writing a travel book for parents.

Those are just my suggestions.

MLW20 likes this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestions! The City Walks with Kids Cards sound pretty interesting. They were mentioned in a post I wrote which you can read here. If my son was a bit older I would pick up the NYC cards to test out just for fun but he is only going on 14 months old. Not exactly a trip planning age!

9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I first started traveling to South America in 96-97 AA was using paper maps posted in a wall to show flight path (and there was smoking on the flight!yuck). At the end of the flight I would ask FA for the map and then use it to wrap a gift from my visit. My nephew was about 5 at the time and gifts were usually related to the brazilian soccer team. And did the same thing with my niece. We unwrapped carefully , I would show them where I had been and how far it was from Boston where they lived and then talk about traveling. Fun times and now they like to travel. And I understand she wants to go to Brasil!