London Properties

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by chz2215, Jan 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Visiting London for the first time with my family. Which location do you prefer? Is one more centrally located for the typical sightseeing?

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I was hoping for input on Hyatt properties

4. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense since you posted in a Hyatt forum. Sorry. I'm not a good resource for Hyatt. I think they really only have two properties there...Hyatt at Portman Sq. which is very convenient to West End and an Andaz. I'll stand down and let others with experience there weigh in.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both of the hotels are nice, however for your first time in London I would absolutely stay at the Hyatt Regency. The location is much better.

Transportation is very accessable at either location, but the West End is a much better area for walking around.

You could walk to Knightsbridge and all the shops such as Harrods, you would be close to Hyde Park and Marble Arch, Buckingham Palace and Oxford St.

Have a great time there.

sobore and OceanBreezes like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Location wise, +1 for the Regency. Easy access to central London and many things most want to see! :)

sobore and marcwint55 like this.
  7. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many nights are you staying. I would also recommend the Churchill, especially if you have diamond status, as the lounge will save you some money, although may get tedious as the canapes don't change hugely. Having said that, the hotel has recently got/is getting a new executive chef so that may improve.

If you are happy walking, as marcwint55 said you can walk to a lot of tourist attractions. Down through Marble Arch, stroll through Hyde Park to Knightsbridge for shopping in Harvey Nichols or Harrods (check Foursquare for Harvey Nicks AMEX offer). Back through the park to Hyde Park Corner, down Constitution Hill to Buckingham Palace. Continue down The Mall to Trafalgar Square and Parliament and Big Ben. Then, a short hop down to the South Bank, London Eye and Tate Modern. Cross over the wobbly bridge to St Paul's - a great day or weekend of sightseeing (weather dependent).

If you want to see pics - we have a review of each hotel online: Churchill and Andaz. Oh, and we strongly recommend the Churchill's brunch!

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look, they are both near tube stations. You can get where you want to go from either. The Churchill is closer to Hyde Park and shopping; the Andaz is closer to the Tower of London. I've stayed in both more than once and you can make do with either location so I'd also consider price points in the equation.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Richard, I'll be arriving at the Andaz Feb 15 for 2 nights (got a great rate for these nights) but then am hopping to either the Churchill for 220 pounds or using 25000 for new Hotel Indigo Earls Court. My question is how do they treat diamonds? Should I expect a room upgrade? On tripadvisor, there is a common theme of rooms not being ready for 3p checkin. Have you experienced that? Is the hour tube ride reasonable? It's not far from the Liverpool Street station, right? And finally, any cool restaurants you dined at nearby?

10. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never not had an upgrade at the Churchill. In fact, probably 80% of time we receive an upgrade to a suite, although it's best not to expect or hope for that. I would advise emailing the club lounge of the hotel to request an early checkin - after doing this we have been able to check in at 10am a couple of times, although it obviously depends on occupancy.

Restaurants, it depends what you like. Locanda Locatelli in the hotel is supposed to be one of the best Italian restaurants in the UK. Last time, we ate at Cocochan which is around a 5 minute walk away and that offered great food at a reasonable price.

11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot -- really looking forward to my Andaz stay and if I can get the Churchill down to under 200 pounds a night, I'll stay there my last night.

12. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diamonds at the Churchill are frequently upgraded, depending on space available. I have eaten at Locanda Locatelli several times over the years and feel it is very good value at the high end (i.e., it's not gonna be cheap but probably cheaper than other places of similar quality). Churchill concierge can usually get you a booking if you can't get one directly.

About an 8 minute walk down Wigmore Street in the direction of Oxford Circus, there is St Christopher's place which is filled with moderately priced restaurants, including some that stay open late.

OceanBreezes likes this.