London Marriott: St. Pancras Renaissance or Grosvenor House

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jpripcord, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So next week I've got a quick (2 night) business trip in London. I went online and reserved rooms at both hotels (rates are really low right now) so I could have the option to choose either one

Both are somewhat convenient locations, so I'm indifferent on that aspect.

Last year I stayed at the St. Pancaras and found it to be nice (really liked the exec lounge).

Never stayed at the Grosvenor House.

Anyone have comments/recommendations/thoughts on the best option between the two of them?

uggboy likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  3. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    St. Pancras is in a beautiful building & is close to King's Cross, but that's it. If you're Gold, unlike other Marriott properties, you do not get access to the executive lounge as they're trying to present it as a 'club'. Only Plats & those who get upgraded to Chamber rooms get access.

Grosvenor House, a JW Marriott, is very good about upgrading elites. I personally find it's got a good location (close to shops, museums, etc), but that really depends on why someone is in London. If they're there for mtgs in the financial district, not the best location. Both Golds & Platinums get access to the exec lounge. My understanding is the the exec lounge at GH is smaller than St. P. GH's morning offerings are quite robust; evening is ok.

Pics of Grosvenor House:

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/hotels-planes-train/grosvenor-house-london/

Cheers.

4. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arrived at St. Pancras about an hour ago, so really havent had much time to form an opinion, but my initial thoughts are that I like the lobby and club here better than at the GH. I'm a long time GH visitor and this is my first time staying elsewhere in London. I will post more detailed thoughts at the end of the trip if anyone is interested.

I will add one thing, which might really not matter for most people, but is one of the reasons I absolutely LOVE the GH. The GH has a shower head that is unmatched by any other hotel I've stayed at yet, including the SP. You get so much water pressure its kind of ridiculous. I know, it's probably nothing for most people, but theres something nice about coming back from a 16 hour day and standing under a hot shower with a lot of water pressure. The "trickle" in the shower at the SP leaves much to be desired. my two cents.

5. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an update, have stayed here for over a week now, and I think this is my new favorite hotel in London, even over GH. Sadly I didn't get an upgrade on either of my two stays (checked out for a two day trip to Brussels) but the rooms were large and very pleasant to stay in. Probably the best thing I like about this place is that plats get free breakfast both in the club as well as the booking office, that alone is worth 35£ here. I am not talking about continental buffet, I am talking about a full breakfast from the a la cart menu. Also the chambers club has free afternoon tea, which outside in the booking office would run between 35£ and 55£ depending on what you get. I took full advantage of the free afternoon tea on every day I was there that I could.

The staff is probably the nicest I've encountered, even compared to the GH. They went out of their way to take care of me.

Interesting observation: at GH and other London properties when I have tipped the staff didn't bat an eyelid - they expect it. At SPR, every staff member were shocked each time I slipped them a note - in fact the concierge even tried to return it to me after he helped get my bags from the room to the car, and arranging a car last minute at 4am.

Anyone who goes to SPR should look up Marco at the concierge desk - he had the best non-touristy recommendations and planning for my free time beyond work.

6. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not even close. There is no way I would stay at St. Pancreas. Crappy location unless you want to be on top of the station for an early morning departure. GH has a great lounge, very nice rooms, some even with park views. The only minus to GH is that it can be a bit of a walk to the tube, not so nice in the rain, and a further walk to restaurants off Oxford Street. But overall it is an easy choice.

7. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. Since you didn't get upgraded, I'm assuming that you had access to the club due to Platinum status. Those who are Gold will not get the same full brekkie & aft tea unless they get the upgrade, so they should be aware of that.

I think the StP is a good addition to the Marriott family in London, and obviously the building is fabulous. It doesn't work as well for me due to where I need to be, so I'll probably continue to stay at GH. I do think the lounge offerings in GH in the evening are no great shakes, and especially compared to a few years ago.

I've been very lucky w/ upgrades at GH though. And I do agree w/ you re: the shower pressure!

Cheers.