London in October from DC

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by cguizlo, Apr 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I just discovered MP last weekend and it is awesome to see how nice and willing folks are to help out use Newbies!

I am trying to plan a trip from DC to London in October for 4 or 5 days for myself and my girlfriend. It will be a present for myself for graduating from graduate school. :)

We both have around 50,000 miles on UA. I have the UA credit card and we both have the Chase Saphire Preferred card. We are planning on booking a saver award in either coach or business (gf doesn't know if using 100,000 miles is worth it for business, I think it is). Do you all think it is worth the extra 40,000 miles (60,000 for saver economy v. 100,000 for business)?

We were hoping to get some advice on which hotel programs we should be looking into to try and get our hotel taken care of in London, as well as if we should go into another airport like Brussels to avoid heavy taxes at LHR.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

misman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    cguizlo,

Welcome to MP!

:)
    100k is generally the norm for J (business class0 in many instances...it really depends on if you guys plan to take more trips on miles/points in the future.

Pretty much all of the hotel chains can be found in London. Marriott, Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) Priority Club, Club Carlson, etc. have numerous properties throughout the city. I'm not sure how many Hyatt or SPG properties there are...as I never look for them.

I would base it on what can help you earn points easily in the US via personal/work/school travel. It also depends on what type of hotel you're looking for ...

Again welcome!

cennas likes this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the economy vs business argument depends on your personal circumstances. If you are going to be able to readily produce additional points I would go for the business class. However, if the only way you are going to be able to generate additional points is by endlessly signing up for credit cards you might want to think about whether business class is worth it.

4. PerdHapley

PerdHapley Active Member

Status Points:
    Well hello there!

The piece of advice that I would give you would be to split the difference: do one leg in Economy and one leg in Business. Do the business leg for the overnight flight and sleep like a bear!

misman and cennas like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ironically, I'd go with business on the westbound flight during the day when meal service/movies/etc. can be enjoyed...and it can be an hour or so longer flight westbound vs. eastbound.

We all have our preferences though!

6. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

I don't think we will be able to get more miles minus a huge credit card churn (which I am still a bit nervous about doing) so I think we will look at just doing the J class one way. Which way that is....we will have to decide, I can see the points made for both routes.

I will start investigating the hotels in the London area to see which program might be the best for us. If anyone knows of a good hotel let me know!

Thanks again for all of the help.

misman likes this.
  7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    HI cguizlo, Welcome to MP!

cennas likes this.
  8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I splurge for business for such a long flight (gasp), especially if flying direct. My preference is to do TA in business class but for London, I can survive in coach. The main reason I take business class is to be able to sleep well, so if you do day flights it might be less important. That is a matter of personal preference. Of course having *G status skew my calculation as luggage and lounge access are already given and need not be part of the ticket consideration.

London can be expensive, maybe consider using some of your points for hotels.

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our headquarters are in London so I travel there and plan all employee and family trips too as we send staff there for Xmas and family summer parties. I also manage the global travel so have a list of hotels we suggest to clients most are not points/US chains
    The former Mint hotels just became Doubletree (hilton) and are nicely situated. When using points, I've had good luck with SPG Sheraton Park Lane, a bit older but good location across from palace and walking too. The W is new but the rooms are quite small although I like that area (Soho). I've also done Club Quarters too (there are 4-5 properties) when saving money.
    my fav UK chain is Firmdale- they have a few hotels at different price points -
    my employees like Charlotte Street hotel, in Soho and Marriott County Hall which is next to London eye and across from Big Ben.
    So this gives you Hilton, SPG and Marriott options. If you want my list of other hotels just DM me

misman and cennas like this.
  10. rmott1

rmott1 Active Member

Status Points:
    my wife & i are looking to do a rtw trip (business class) using points, miles &$. Leaving from dc. i have 224k AA miles, 267k usairmiles. suggestions on whether to go oneworld or star alliance on rtw, or do to separate trips one east and back other west & back. Suggestions welcomed

misman likes this.
  11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest you start a new thread on this. You'll get more responses.

12. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks so much for this!!! I'll shoot you a DM for the rest!

13. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP cguizlo!

rwoman likes this.