London Hotel

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Bowdoin, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in London for four days this summer and am struggling with a hotel choice. I recently stayed at the The Crosby Street Hotel in New York and had a wonderful experience there and so was planning on staying at another Firmdale Hotel. I've narrowed it down to The Haymarket Hotel and The Covent Garden Hotel. Any advice on how to decide between the two would be greatly appreciated. I have stayed at The Halkin and One Aldwych before and loved both of them but do let me know if you think these are better options for a quick trip to London. Thanks very much in advance.

uggboy likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed a few times at the Covent Garden and it is an excellent hotel with great service. I would book at least a junior suite for space unless you are by yourself and are working/won't spend a lot of time in the room.

3. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    You are right, the Corinthia does look stunning and they should be applauded for their efforts. I have been following its progress closely and believe that it will likely be considered one of the top 2 or 3 hotels in London in a fairly short period of time. In city's like London, however, I typically prefer smaller hotels and so I will likely stick with one of the Firmdale Hotels or maybe the Halkin Hotel. In addition, the lowest rate at the Corinthia for my dates is 550 Sterling and that's before breakfast and the 20% VAT... which is more than I was hoping to spend. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint seau1. :)

Thanks for the link to the hotel.

We hope you look around the site, post and if you see something you like.... click on "like".

5. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have not stayed at either you are looking at. my favorite is the dorchester.

6. I just had to wade in. I think a well kept secret (or maybe not so secret!) is St. Martin's Lane hotel. I love it for it's location. It's slap bang in the middle of the West End, Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square. Almost equidistant from 3 main train stations - Charing Cross, Leicester Cross and Covent Garden. Did I mention its stunning architecture and that its 5 star?!
    If you want to treat yourself you should definitely give it a go.

7. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it is not on your list, but have you considered the Milestone Hotel? http://www.milestonehotel.com/ I have stayed there twice and had Afternoon Tea two other times--and have had an amazing experience each time. As a matter of fact it is the only non main frequent guest program (Hilton, Starwood, IC etc...) that this points whore would consider staying at...:)

sdcarver

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Halkin in London and can highly recommend this property, superb location, great access to the best landmarks, shopping and culture London as to offer. The hotel itself is a boutique property, very discreet, excellent rooms, Como Shamballa amenities, celebrated thai restaurant // excellent cocktail bar and great service. The hotel is part of Como Hotels and Resorts, they operate also the Metropolitan London, and they have Nobu plus a bar for members only, but I understand that Halkin guests receive also access there. While the Halkin has not a spa, the Metropolitan has. Would be definitely worth another try, but we have followed this hotel a bit and found out the rates are going up // or have gone up over a period of time.:confused: This on the other hand could be a sign of demand. Anyways, enjoy your London trip, always worth a visit, a great city!:)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great post uggboy. I also like the Halkin, the MET not so much- am curious to test-drive the renewed Four Seasons.

uggboy likes this.
  10. After researching for a trip through Europe this summer, I settled on the Baglioni Hotel for my London stay... worth checking out.

RichardInSF, uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

uggboy likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a great stay in London! :)

uggboy likes this.
  13. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Baglioni last September. It was wonderful. Did you book your stay with a Virtuoso travel agent to get the additional benefits? Have a great time there.

uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  14. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    For what it is worth, we ended up taking advantage of an AMEX Platinum special at the newly renovated Savoy where we were able to get 4 nights for the price of 3, an upgrade, breakfast daily, 1 lunch or dinner during our stay and a late check-out. While certainly very different from the Firmdale offerings we were considering, we had a wonderful stay at The Savoy and can highly recommend it. The rooms were very nice and qute large (about 40 sq. meters) with great beds, sofas, flat screen tvs with a number of HD channels, free WiFi and large bathrooms with separate tubs and showers and Miller Harris amenities. The rooms are very quiet and housekeeping was very good offering twice daily service. Our room (a Grand Deluxe in the Edwardian style) had a view of the Thames, Big Ben and Parliament. The only downside of the room was the lack of storage for clothing. Service was top notch--particulary at The River Restaruant, the Thames Foyer and in room service--attentive and helpful but not intrusive. The American Bar is very popular and there are 30 minute waits for table unless you are in residence as they usually reserve tables for guests of the hotel. Make sure you try the "Green Park"--a great drink. We actually preferred the Beaufort Bar which is simply stunning--black and gold with excellent champagne cocktails. The Savoy Grill (run by Gordon Ramsey and not the hotel) was very good--not great but very good. The room and the service were excellent, however. The location of The Savoy was great. We were a 5 minute walk to several tube stops (including Covent Garden and Embankment) and a 10 minute walk to SoHo and Piccadilly. In addition, there are alsways taxis available right in front of the hotel in addition to the hotel's cars. The hotel's renovation was very well done and even though everything is new it looks like it has been there for years. Overall, a great stay and if you are looking for a full-service luxury hotel in London then The Savoy is defintiely worth considering.

uggboy likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic choice and thanks for the great insights into the Savoy, A Fairmont Hotel! A Classic and Wonderful choice indeed! Cheers!:)

16. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been many years since I used to stay at the Savoy. I'm happy to hear about the renovation and look forward to trying it out soon. If you plan on seeing a play, this is the hotel for you. I wonder if they still have the Toulouse-Latrec suite that I used to get?

uggboy likes this.