London Hotel Recommendation

Discussion in 'Europe' started by samonyc, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning to trip to London later this year and would appreciate recommendations for an affordable but not horrid hotel. £150 a night or less is the range.

2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you looking to stay? I think the hotels around Paddington are generally a pretty good value for the money.

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition to gpaya question, I have a few more:
    1. Do you belong to a hotel loyalty program (or are you thinking of joining one?) or are there any particular hotels you would like to try?
    2. What type of hotels do you normally stay?
    3. What will you be doing? Is this business, where you need to be stationary/close to the hotel or is this personal and you want to get out and see London
    4. How will you get around the city? Car or public transportation?
    5. Traveling alone or with others?

I ask these questions to form a starting point, so that contributors can point you in the right direction. Giving us some examples of properties you've previously stayed and liked, will help us to help you. :);)

4. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Thanks for putting more thought into this than even I have!

1. I'm with Hilton and Hyatt, but I usually won't pay for those on my own dime unless it's one of their discount brands. Part of the reason for this trip is to take advantage of the 2 free nights that come with my Hyatt Visa. I don't have enough points on either program for the additional 3 nights of this trip because they only have high-category properties in London. I have a couple of Hilton properties in mind if I decide to earn some points on this trip.
    2. For leisure travel, I usually shoot for three stars, but I tend to favor neighborhood and price over amenities. I don't need to be pampered. Just a shower and a clean bed. Access to coffee without leaving the building would be a plus.
    3. Sightseeing. I expect to be in the West End mostly, as SoHo and Bloomsbury are the only areas I'm somewhat familiar with.
    4. Transport for London all the way.
    5. Alone, unless I can lure someone to join me. Apparently the two nights at the Hyatt Regency Churchill aren't enough of a carrot!

5. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priceline. Priceline. Priceline.

You should easily be able to get a 4-star in a decent neighborhood for $100 to $125 per night. Honestly, I struggle to think of any other options that will come close to delivering that kind of value.

6. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

If you're using the certificates for Hyatt, check out the Hyatt Andaz London.

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just know all the right questions to ask! ;) Now hopefully, our knowledgae forum members can come up with suggestions.

Be sure to check priceline, hotwire and repeatedly check travelzoo for deals.

8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    rharrigill likes this.
  9. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I travel to London, I use this place: http://www.think-apartments.com/ They offer studio, 1 and 2 br furnished apartments for rates that start around 130 sterling. Their business model is to work with developers who have just finished a new apartment complex and rent apartments as hotel rooms, until the developer finds tenants. I've been in several of their locations over the years.

You'll get full kitchen, often with washer/dryer, since it is designed to eventually be rented by a person or family by the year.

By the way, when traveling to Europe, I often search for "Apartment Hotel" to find businesses like this.

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had free Hyatt nights in London, I'd pick the Churchill over the Andaz without giving it a second thought -- and I've stayed at both. But why not REALLY get value for your award and spend your two free nights at the Park Hyatt Paris?

If you stay in London, there's a Best Western of some sort about a block from the Hyatt, it might be cheaper and an easy move. Don't know anything about it though.

samonyc likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I went to London I scored a Hotwire deal at the Crowne Plaza London - The City, near Blackfriars. Not exactly a central location (well, it could be considered central, just in the empty space in between everything) but it was surprisingly large compared to everywhere else I've stayed in London. Cost $110 on Hotwire in 2007, currently looks like it's around $200 through a regular booking site.

12. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    firmdale's number 16 - £130 single £175 double
    access to pool at haymarket, and signing privileges at all firmdale

13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points: