London Hotel Near Piccadilly

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by garyst16, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling to London on business next month (April 2013). I would prefer to stay near Piccadilly since the meetings I will be attending are in the general area. Unfortunately, I am required to stay within the U.S. Government per diem rates and do not know the hotels in the area... I would prefer to stay at a *wood property but I have not been able to locate one within the per diem rates (I read through this thread http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/which-starwood-hotel-in-london.58015/).

I am not stuck on *wood properties, but they are my first choice... any suggestions?

BTW - the per diem rate is $319USD. Appreciate any and all assistance

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  3. I would think the US government rate at either the meridien or the sheraton Park lane a few blocks further down would be well under your per diem rate.

4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could do worse than the
    Piccadilly, London W1J 7BX, United Kingdom

- sometimes you can snag a cash and points deal here, although I would be amused if you could claim for your points redemption.

5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W is near Piccadilly Circus but probably more than your rate. A few blocks away in Soho look at the Dean Street Townhouse they have a few rooms they call Tiny but might make your rate. Other options are Z Hotels (quite small but who stays in room in London?) or Sanctum Soho. none are points obviously if you want points and rate look further down at the Park Lane (a Sheraton) on Piccadilly about 10 minute walk to Piccadilly Circus. I wasn't sure if you need to be in Park Lane on Piccadilly or near Piccadilly Circus. another option is the Firmdale chain of hotels - I stay with them in London - they have many price points and are boutique hotels

Flying Bat, jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The per diem rate is significantly less than what they are charing at the Meridien... unfortunately!

Flying Bat and jbcarioca like this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this is a business trip being paid by my employer, I won't be using any of my points for the trip! :)

Flying Bat and jbcarioca like this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I listed the USG International Per Diem rates for London below. London has a max rate of $319/night. I've also listed the rates for the *Wood brands for the week I will be in town... Unfortunately, none of these properties even come close... even when using the Government rates... any other suggestions?

Country Name Post Name Season Begin Season End Maximum Lodging Rate M & IE Rate Maximum Per Diem Rate Footnote Effective Date
    UNITED KINGDOM London 1-Jan 31-Dec 319 180 499 View 10/1/2011

Property Lowest Standard Rate SET/Corporate Account SPG Cash & Points

From From Not available
    W London - Leicester Square USD 490 > USD 463 >

From From Not available
    Le Méridien Piccadilly USD 420 > USD 408 >

From From Not available
    The Park Lane Hotel, London USD 405 > USD 394 >

From Not available Not available
    The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel USD 751 >

From From Not available
    Sheraton Park Tower, London USD 526 > USD 517 >

From From From
    Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow USD 127 > USD 271 > 5,000 Starpoints + USD 75 >

From From From
    Sheraton Heathrow Hotel USD 94 > USD 231 > 3,500 Starpoints + USD 55 >

Not available Not available Not available
    Aloft London Excel

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Here you go: 188 quid per night corporate rate..probably much less with government rate:
    Welcome to Holiday Inn London - Mayfair
    Choose the elegant Holiday Inn London-Mayfair hotel in central London, with good transport links across the city.

Situated in the heart of London on Berkeley Street, in refined Mayfair, Holiday Inn London-Mayfair exudes the glamour and service of a traditional hotel. You'll be welcomed by a doorman into our grand Lobby. London Heathrow Airport is a 60-minute taxi ride away and the hotel is just 50 metres from well-connected Green Park Tube station.
    Host seminars for up to 65 guests in our 2 meeting rooms with wireless Internet. Your meeting in the City or Canary Wharf is a 15-minute Tube ride away, and your homely Guest room has high-speed Internet.
    The renowned shopping of Oxford Street and Bond Street is less than 10 minutes' walk away, and you can stroll across Green Park to majestic Buckingham Palace. Nightingales restaurant serves hot English breakfasts under twinkling chandeliers, and you can order cocktails from our barman.

That hotel is steps from Picadilly road and about a 10/15 minute walk to the top of the road. I have stayed there and its not a bad place..

10. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guinnessxyz - have you stayed at this hotel or do you know anything about it?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. I have stayed there and liked it and especially liked the location which is steps from Picadilly. I beleive it has been further upgraded since i last stated there about a year ago. If your budget does not fit the *wood properties then this is the one I would suggest in your geographical sphere.

12. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Sincerely appreciate the info

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you are traveling on Govt. Business. I just contact the Embassy and have them make my reservations at the Govt. rate. This is what I do all the time. I usually get the Intercontinental Hotel at London Park lane. You can ask for somewhere In Piccadilly, and I am sure they would accommodate you. When the Embassy calls for a reservation the hotel will not turn down the Embassy. They will want the business.

garyst16 likes this.