London Hotel good for families

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by askias, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're planning an August 2012 trip to London and Paris. Looking for recommendations for a good hotel near the sights. Main requirement is that we have a 4 year old, and so we need either a pull out sofa in the room or a big enough space (junior suite?) where she can sleep. Interested in what others have done.

Thanks.

LN-FHU and uggboy like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not stayed at any luxury hotels in London. However, I did stay twice at Le Meridian Piccadilly in London. Traveled with my wife and my son and did have the same requirements. Was able to book a Jr, Suite at this property using star points and loved every single bit of it. Jr. Suite comes with the lounge access where you can have nice breakfast in AM and lots of different food presentations during the day including alcohol in the evening. The suites that I had stayed in did have a sofa, but we always were able to get a roll-away bed for free for our son. This property also has a nice pool in the basement and is very conveniently located to all major tourist attractions and of course the tube.

uggboy and jetsetr like this.
  3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's your budget (other than "as little as possible")? The challenge with so many European hotels - especially in Paris, I've noticed - is that the rooms tend to be much smaller than what we are accustomed to in the U.S. Pull-out sofas in the EU are almost unheard of, IME, unless you book a larger class room.

uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies, I will check out the Le Meridian, it sounds like it may fit the bill. I'm flexible on budget. I'd like to do it for less than $500 a night if I can. The rooms are definitely smaller in Europe and no one seems to do pull out sofas which are common even in luxury hotels stateside. Obviously we will do rollaway if we have too although not thrilled with tripping over it in the morning.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jt. Suite at Le Meridian London will put you north of $650 per night in August. Would help if you would have Star points.

uggboy likes this.
  6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Olympics have taken many rooms already for august especially high end/luxury. Our offices are in London, I stay/like the Firmdale properties of boutiques (Soho hotel and Charlotte Street) -great locations and service. Starwood properties as mentioned are good options, I always find space with points at the Park Lane across from Buckingham Palace (older property but some bigger rooms). There are other hotels to look at- Mint, the Zetter, 22Jermyn, The Rockwell, The Rookery, Chancery Court (formerly Marriott Renaissance). I have other hotels, flat rentals, etc we recommend to clients if this list is not fruitful, just contact me.

7. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Key issue will be the Olympics, not sure you'll be able to get what you want at your price at that time. I would advise booking the best price you can afford and forego the Luxury portion-- but make sure it is a fully refundable rate. As time gets closer, keep checking other hotels, rates etc. Some people who may have made reservations, assuming Olympic tix, may cancel.

8. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should be more specific that we are planning to go after the Olympics, roughly 8/25 through Labor Day. So I was hoping to avoid Olympic style pricing. I will look at Starwood now to see some options. Not opposed to a flat rental, just seemed like a lot to go through for 3/4 days, but if its a reasonable option will take it.

uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. London and Paris are great places to visit. There are a lot of beautiful and affordable hotels that you can stay once your there. I recommend luxury hotels london. Its a nice hotel to stay with and that would also give great value to your money.

uggboy likes this.
  10. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton London Metropole is a huge hotel, but their superior rooms are about 30sqm and have two Queen beds. Perfect for a small family! There is a tube station about 2 minutes from the hotel were the Circle Line runs. The station is one stop to Paddington for easy connections to the Heathrow Express.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    We've visited London several times with young children and, in each instance, we stayed in different hotels and had very good luck. I would suggest any of the Firmdale Hotels with the Haymarket probably being my first choice given the fact that they have a pool. If the Haymarket is booked, the Covent Garden Hotel would be a very good choice as well. Although a little generic, the Marriott County Hall was a good option given that we were able to get a view of the Thames which the boys loved and you are right next to the London Eye and close to Parliament, Westminster Abbey and a number of other sites. We stayed at The Savoy last summer and it was great but you should know that the dining areas are a little formal for young kids. The Athenum has apartments which are very convenient since you have cooking facilities. It is located right off Piccadily and is very nice. Next July we are staying at The St. Ermins hotel which was recently acquired by Accor/Sofitel. It gets great reviews, has a wonderful location, was not too expensive and they had family rooms with day beds. London is a great city to travel to with kids...even very young ones. Our kids still talk about their trips to London and they are always eager to go back. Hope this helps and have a great trip.

philatravelgirl likes this.