London-Dublin by train /ferry for $US53/33 pounds

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tom911, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done London-Dublin (or Dublin-London) by both bus/ferry and rail/ferry a couple times over the last 20 years I've been traveling to either city. Just yesterday I took the 0815 Virgin Rail train from London to Crewe, connecting to the 1042 service Crewe-Holyhead, Wales (train change required due to Sunday schedule--on other days of the week you should not need to change trains). Arrival at Holyhead ferry port at 1243, and the 1410 Irish Ferry Ulysses starts boarding at 1315.Free wifi sponsored by google aboard both trains, though that only runs another week.

Walked over into the adjoining village before departure and the shops were closed due to it being Sunday. On a prior trip I had shopped at a bakery that had pies (the type with meat filling) and pastries for items to go. Settled for cottage pie and fries on board with a diet coke for $US19.

Arrived in Dublin at 1730 and got connecting city bus to Busarus (bus terminal) for 2.5 euros. Was at my hotel about 20 minutes later.

Part of the reason I've been doing flights home from Dublin, and not London, is the additional U.K. departure taxes and costs associated with upgrading to business. That easily justifies the sidetrip to return home from other destinations.

Ferry crossing took 3 hr 20 mins in calm seas. Light rain started falling about an hour outside Dublin.

Will get some photos up here in the next day or two as I'm heading out for dinner/pub crawl right now. This trip was booked on line at raileasy.co.uk.

jupper, savydog and TheMadBrewer like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Irish Ferry Ulysses in port at Holyhead, Wales, before departure (hard to believe it holds 2,000 cars):

[​IMG]

View from outside on deck 11 midcrossing (as high as you can go--there are two other interior passenger decks below):

[​IMG]

Arrival at Dublin Ferryport:

[​IMG]

More exterior, interior and food photos linked below.

3. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you have considered this - I am presuming you are travelling light given the amount of transits you do between different forms of transportation. Though I am not a huge fan of ryanair because of their nickel and diming and their smarmy CEO, you can often get good deals which could cover the same distance in much less time, and for about the same cost.

Of course, if you are a boat and train fan, then the journey itself as you describe it could well be part of the attraction.

Chimpy, Tenmoc, secretsea18 and 2 others like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between baggage fees and transit costs to get to one of their London airports (I know they don't fly from Heathrow), as well as the negative reports I've seen over the years, I just won't fly them. Think my last trip with RyanAir was to Kerry Airport from London at least 5 years ago.

When I do fly I've been pretty happy with Aer Lingus or British Midland, both of whom I've used in years past (BD last year on a $50 fare). When we had dates locked in for this trip the Sunday fare on Aer Lingus was $125 plus baggage fees which was more than I wanted to pay this time around for three passengers. I carry both a rollaboard which can weigh up to 20kg when packed and a small duffle bag or backpack depending which I need out.

savydog likes this.
  5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aer Lingus from Gatwick to Dublin is a reasonable option. Have done that as well. But I too prefer to London-Holyhead-Dublin Ferryport (or Dun Laoghaire port) train/ferry combo. Even excepting baggage fees (other than RyanAir & EasyJet I can almost always get my bag through as carry-on with even the strictest airlines), the convenience of not having to get to and from the airport for such a short hop flight makes the train/ferry a much better choice in my opinion.

It's been a couple of years but you used to be able to ring Virgin Trains directly and pay as little as £16 one way if booked early enough in advance. Does Virgin still have a direct service from London Euston to Holyhead without the change at Crewe?

savydog likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do Monday-Saturday. I was traveling on Sunday when that service isn't offered.