London Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day

Discussion in 'Europe' started by NileGuide, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. [​IMG]
    Only visitors wear green
    Ask a Londoner how they will celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and you may get a puzzling look. St. Patrick’s Day is for the Irish and for visiting Americans I’ve been told. It may be a national holiday just a stone’s throw from our shores in Ireland although Londoners don’t wear green or Kiss Me I’m Irish buttons on March 17th. Not to worry though, with nearly 1 million Irish people living in the capital, there are plenty of places to raise a pint of the black stuff to St. Pat.
    For a proper Irish knees-up party there are the loved, yet loathed chain of O’Neill’s theme pubs with locations all over London. O’Neill’s in Covent Garden will be crammed with revelers dancing & singing along with the live music well into the wee hours. You will find much of the same craic at Soho’s spirited bar Waxy O’Connor’s.
    Those who prefer a more authentic experience ought to head to The Tipperary, London’s oldest Irish pub, where the regulars don’t need an occasion to knock back several pints of Guinness. Expect it to be chockablock on the 17th but try to check out the mosaic floor dotted with tiny shamrocks. More Guinness guzzling and Irish whiskey sampling can be found at Covent Garden’s Coach & Horses pub. Not so sure you’ll find a bona fide Irishman in sight, but a party is guaranteed.
    If you are after perfectly prepared Irish cuisine Mayfair is home to several oyster bars where posh locals gather in a lively atmosphere. Mulligans of Mayfair retains a quieter crowd but expect a vibrant buzz on St. Patrick’s Day. Straight from County Meath master chef Richard Corrigan runs both the popular Bentley’s Oyster Bar and Grill and fine dining eatery, Corrigan’s Mayfair. All of these restaurants merit visits irrespective of the holiday.
    A few alternate Irish experiences are worth mentioning. Vinopolis wine tasting bar is running a special St. Patrick’s Day Tour offering beer, whiskey and wine tastings with a side of Guinness and steak pie on the 17th and 18th. Dublin born rockabilly singer Imedla May will be performing to the St. Paddy’s Day crowd at the Roundhouse in Camden.
    Sláinte!
    image: Garry Knight / flickr
    feature image: Bitch Buzz / flickr

Continue reading...