London Cabs - a nice development for point collectors..

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Global Explat, Apr 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've lived in London for a few years, as an expat from the US.

London cabs aren't cheap for starters, but it's always been a real nuisance that London cabs only take cash unless you are willing to part with a 10-15% fee for using a credit card.

Yesterday I discovered Hailo. The Hailo app quickly downloads to your i-phone. It shows on a map where you are, and shows you how far away the nearest cab in the hailo network is. The estimates appear to be accurate also. I used it twice in London yesterday, once from my home and once from a restaurant, and both times the cab was 2 minutes away. You simply tap a "pick me up here" button on the app. Your phone tells you when the cab has arrived.

This was all very smooth and convenient, but an additional bonus is that they actually seem to prefer credit cards, without the usual 10-15% surcharge. I provided the details for my Chase Sapphire card, and at the end of each cab ride it billed directly without me having to do anything. Being able to get some points at least takes a little bit of the sting out of those expensive London cab fares.

Here's the address for the app: www.hailoapp.com

Theres also a £5 free credit available for first use. The code that worked for me was YQNGH

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.

LETTERBOY and Global Explat like this.
  3. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good alternative to having to book a minicab whenever someone's in need of a cab and out of cash. :)

LETTERBOY and Global Explat like this.
  4. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    much quicker and cheaper too..