London and Amsterdam Dining Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by cguizlo, Oct 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Would love to hear your dining suggestions for London and Amsterdam. Headed there this week and would love to try some Milepoint favorites! :)

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    When in London I always to go Heston Blumenthal's Dinner.
    His food creations are unique and extremely good :)

willski, rwoman, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want a fantastic French dinner in London, go to Le Gavroche in the Mayfair district. Unfortunately I did not find anything in Amsterdam that I fell in love with.

willski, rwoman, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything in particular you're looking for in London? Price range? :)

Friends and family favorites include Nandos (peri peri chicken) and Giraffe (variety).

Pub suggestions: The Stanhope Arms (Gloucester Rd Tube station); the Albert (between Victoria and Westminster); and The Anchor (near the Globe and Tate Modern on the South Bank). Ironically, I did not realize until just now that all three of these are associated with Taylor and Walker.

:)

ducster, cguizlo, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the casual eater, [ Like me ] I love the Harrod's Pizzeria, beautiful freshly made pizza, while you watch. Keeping with Italian, love also Amalfi for perfect pasta dishes and a great authentic atmosphere, and for a great breakfast head to the Promenade @ the Dorchester Hotel, it's fantastic in quality and choice plus surroundings this goes equally for the Dorchester Bar where we had some super martinis and other drinks. For proper steaks for dinner I can recommend the Quadrato Restaurant @ the Four Seasons Hotel Canary Wharf, I had one of my best steaks here.

Amalfi London, Old Crompton Street:

[​IMG]

As a by note:

Sadly the Jaan Restaurant isn't anymore [ which we fondly remember ] with us, as the Swissotel The Howard London closed around a year ago. It was the sister restaurant to the Jaan outlet in Singapore, it was excellent as far we remember.

7. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all so much, these all look delicious!

I think we are trying to stay on the cheaper side of things (with one splurge dinner) so a lot of these are exactly what we are looking for. I knew Milepoint would not fail me. :)

ducster, jparker, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  8. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    ducster likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this the one that G Ramsay had as a finalist for best African resto in England?

10. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I don't know. It has been there for several years now and I have probably been there six or seven times and always had a good experience but have never heard to your above one way or the other.

11. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Amsterdam I really like a nice rijsttafel. Also, even though I pretty much never eat french fries back in the states there is something really good about how they cook their fritas in Amsterdam and great for a quick snack while walking around. A cheese tasting room, such as Reypenaer, would be another nice option there.

12. willski

willski Active Member

Status Points:
    For the splurge, Le Gavroche (marcwint's suggestion) is good for a rich French feast. I also liked Dinner (ACMM's suggestion) but preferred LG.

If you can make a small evening trip to outside of London, go to the original Heston restaurant in Bray - The Fat Duck. The journey only takes an hour or less, and this is definitely a superb experience that I would recommend without any hesitation. It can get pretty pricey, but really was one of my most memorable meals.

Another restaurant I like very much in London is Hibiscus (Maddox St. near Oxford Circus). The food is great, and occasionally the head chef teams up with other top chefs, e.g. went to a collaboration dinner with Rene Redzapi of Noma.

For value for money, set-lunch menus at most of the top restaurants are great. You can extend your food budget this way I think :)

TAHKUCT likes this.