London... again.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by capecodbeachfront, Feb 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront New Member

Status Points:
    Not truly a newbie but sure feel like one right now. Two years ago I was able to use Sapphire Blue & his & her United Cards to nearly comp air travel to LHR and home from CDG. Since then I have Southwest Companion pass and a huge pile of IHG points. So I do know what I am doing BUT I have hit a roadblock.
    How do I again accumulate points toward another London trip... either from ALB, BOS, or EWR? I did cancel the Sapphire & United Cards BUT both were from Chase. Will Chase allow be to re-bonus those cards? I think I have pretty much maxed out my Chase cards. Love my Southwest cards (Chase) but in a situation like this they can be a burden.
    Or should I look to another card issuer? Maybe American or US AIr thru Citibank?? I used Barclay Arrival in 2014 for Vegas hotel stay so that is not available. Trip will not be until next Spring (2016) so I do have time to plan. But I need some direction...
    Which airline offers the best award deals for London? United was good because I could do one ways. BTW I have even considered buying the flights and instead working toward paying for the hotel stays with award points. Not as exciting as nearly free flights however. Thanks.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to the merger as well as other FF program changes, the AA/US program could be drastically different by 2016, so this is a risky bet IMO.

So far, WN doesn't do TATL so those benefits at most are useful to get you to a gateway airport with better award availability in another program or good cheap/LCC international fares.

Newscience, MX and uggboy like this.
  3. capecodbeachfront

Status Points:
    I posted in Newbie because I was afraid I might have trouble deciphering the lingo... Guess I was right.
    "So far, WN doesn't do TATL" ?????
    I suspect TATL=Trans Atlantic To London ?

4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi @capecodbeachfront and welcome to MilePoint!

TATL = Transatlantic
    WN = Southwest (it is the two letter airline code)

MilePoint has a nifty feature where you can highlight text (try TATL or WN for example) and the definition pops up in the upper right. It doesn't work for everything, but you will find the most common terms there...including all the other airline codes (UA, US, AA, DL, WN, LH, LX...)

We recently opened US & AA cards to stack the bonuses. Although at this point, we can't combine AA & US mileage, but that will happen soon enough for us. The AA card was issued by Citi and the US card was issued by Barclays. The other thing to consider is going to American Express. Amex points can be transferred to a bunch of different airline partners, but be aware that there's a tax/fee associated with the transfers. It can still be a great deal for premium travel awards.

I'm sure other members will chime in with more insight for you :)

Efilon87 and Newscience like this.
  5. capecodbeachfront

Status Points:
    Thank you for the highlight tip... it really is helpful! I usually stay away from American Express. Probably not true for everyone but for me it is a bit harder to meet the min spending requirements. Just not accepted in as many places. I will revisit the AA & US Air cards... thanks