London 2012

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jpruzins, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    After vising the Bird's Nest in Beijing earlier this month, my boyfriend and I decided that going to the Olympics in London 2012 would be awesome. Is anyone else planning on going to the games? Has anyone been to an Olympics games? Has anyone used cosport to buy Olympic tickets? We're putting in our request for event tickets next week to get swimming and track & field tickets.

2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm holding off on putting my ticket requests in until I see the (likely exorbitant) costs of the hospitality packages that included guaranteed tickets. Were supposed to be available to Americans tomorrow but the site now says April 12th. If those are far beyond my comfort zone I'll then submit my ticket request. That's open to the 22nd and there's no value in getting in first, fortunately. Will be a lottery draw for events where demand exceeds supply.

I've been wanting to go to the summer games for many years. I desperately want to attend opening ceremonies - though I know that's a longshot due to demand versus supply - but will also be looking forward to some lesser events not televised much. The preferred list of events for about 3 days for my wife and I include archery (Day 0 rankings are free!), rowing, beach volleyball and weightlifting in addition to an early gymnastics round and a grounds pass at Wimbledon for a day.

Assuming we're lucky and score tickets (or package including tickets plus hotel), our goal is to only spend 3 or 4 days in London, then get the hell out. :) Road trip around the countryside, into Wales and up north, ideally. But if prices are too high everywhere we'll go wander around France instead.

deant likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My wife and I are planning on going to the 2012 Olympics. In fact, we already have our hotel reservation at the Park Lane on points. Was able to make the reservation before the hotel went up in category. 40K points for 5 nights (value of about 8 cents per point!!!!!!). Right now, SPG is the only chain that has posted booking availability for London next summer. For points stays, they show "contact SPG to redeem your free nights". I think this really means that they only have "upgraded" rooms available but they are available for booking. Worth giving them a call to see. I know for a PAID reservation they want to charge RACK rate and then consider it non-refundable. At least the points reservation can be canceled.

We went to the Vancouver Winter last year and had a ball. Decided to go at the last minute and had real problems getting a hotel. Had made reservations to stay on the NCL cruise ship but they backed out at the last minute (our notification was seeing a news flash on the 11:00 news). We wound up staying at the YWCA. Turned out it was a regular hotel right across the street from BC stadium. Could not have been in a better location. Would not stay there normally but for the Olympics it was great. In fact when we arrive, the desk clerk told us to put our luggage in the back and walk 2 or 3 blocks to see the flame going by. Perfect timing.

We were able to get opening ceremony tickets through Ebay as well as some of the figure skating and mogels tickets. You need to watch the timing because prices go up and down all the time.

For London, we also want opening tickets as well as some of the other events. Will probably put in our requests after the package tickets come out. Hope to get Opening, Tennis center court, and Gymnastics. Planning about a week before the Olympics to tour around Ireland and then maybe a few days in Paris after the 5 nights in London.

4. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, after checking out today's 100K British Airways cc offer... I think this might be an awesome opportunity to start building up some London 2012 miles.

Besides Starwood, any other hotels to keep an eye out for?

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had also planned on looking at HHonors and Marriott when they became available, but due to the deal I got on SPG we will definitely not bother.

The issue you will have is that corporations and travel agencies are booking entire hotels, or at least all the low category rooms. This means that the hotel has no obligation to make award rooms available. So it will truly be a case of "whatever is available". If there was no payment penalty, I would make reservations as soon as possible. At least that ties down a room to stay in. The summer Olympics is very spread out and London has a great mass transit system so you can stay just about anywhere. Key is to get a hotel room reserved. Figure that the Starwood Le Meridian is about $920 USD PER NIGHT including tax - and that is a PRE-PAID rate with NO cancellation. If you can get a points reservation, even with paying "extra" for an early upgrade is well worth it. As I said, my reservation at the Park Lane would cost, for 5 nights, about $4,300 USD (non-refundable). I got the reservation for 40K SPG points (refundable). How many times have you gotten over 10 cents per point PLUS being refundable vs non-refundable?

When we went to Vancouver, there were no hotel rooms available, at least that we could find. You could arrange for a private apartment but those were very expensive (read over $500-$600 per night). Even the Y had pushed their rates up to over $350 per night. Based on this, I can easily see the London hotel prices staying at close to rack.

Bottom line, if you want to book a hotel room with points, do it the minute rooms become available.

6. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put in a request for tickets last week - track & field, swimming, fencing, & vball.
    How soon do you think I can use points to book a hotel room?