local Apple Store question - credit card "phone orders" possible?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, May 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... this is going to be a weird question, but... here goes.

Does anybody know if your local Apple Store will take credit card phone orders...? Im thinking of having someone try to buy an Iphone for me and charge it to my card, but I wont be at the store and therefore there is no plastic to swipe. I know its a long shot, but some merchants will charge a card that's not present if you sign a credit card charge agreement and send over copies of the actual credit card, credit card statement and Photo ID. Also, this would be a non US issued credit card....

Any chance of this payment method being successful... or am I dreamin'..... :confused:

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is "no". Imagine a store getting this call "Hey my friend is coming buy to pick up X and here is the cc number." How does that sound to you? Not sure why you don't just go in and do it, or just order it online and do a store pickup? Or, order it online and send it to your friends address then he can forward it on to you.

You are not being clear as to why you don't just walk in and get it yourself.

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ever heard of dual exchange rate market economics and arbitrage opportunities using credit cards issued in different jurisdictions.....? No, didn't think so. Thanks for your "input"..... :mad:

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm used to your odd questions from flyertalk.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/personal_pickup

check to see if you can do that for the item(s) you are interested in, and if you need to be there or a friend can pick it up for you. This way you can check availability at the store online, place the order and pay, specify pickup in store ... It's part of the checkout process, so I imagine you will find out when you try to place the order.

-David

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David.... :cool:

LIH Prem likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn... just read the fine print, and it states that an unlocked iphone can only be picked up by the person that placed the order..... grrrrr

LIH Prem likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe I can still order and pay for accessories using this.... will give it a try

LIH Prem likes this.