Local Airport Staff Splits Reservation?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by FerrisWren, Nov 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FerrisWren

FerrisWren Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a ticket RNO-DFW-PHL departing 11/6 returning 11/11 for my 11-year-old and I.

I noticed that the record locator had changed after we arrived PHL. I called the EXP desk and was told the reservation had been split and that it was done by "someone at Reno airport."

Doesn't sound right to me. Why would someone at a local airport make such a change? Any thoughts?

Has led to an interesting discussion about the upgrade list, but that's another topic.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've split reservations in the past to secure a systemwide upgrade for one traveler, while retaining elite seat selection for others in my party. Without my booking them, they would not be seated in the front section of coach on their own status. I can't request a systemwide upgrade for one traveler without splitting the record. Different story if I try to upgrade all of us - no need to split it up.

Can't see why an airport agent would do it unilaterally. Did you buy upgrades at the gate, do a cash/miles upgrade, or do anything unusual to the booking that would cause the agent to tamper with it?

The hazards of splitting a record come into play during irregular operations. If the computer starts assigning alternate flights, you may end up on different routes, with no ability to get on the same flights if they're sold out when you notice the change.

3. FerrisWren

FerrisWren Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was only one seat left in first and we didn't split, so as I think about it, I'm wondering if the gate agent mixed things up after we boarded and she upgraded the next in line.

And, yes, we now have two records that can't be recombined and hope things go smoothly on our return.

Thanks for your thoughts.