LMU and Premium Economy?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Feb 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I will have my first potential encounters with PE next summer when AC kicks off the YYZ-HND route with the 788 Dreadliner (I refuse to use the other "D" word for these flying sardine cans).

This adds the tightly-packed 3-3-3 seating to the slimline seats for minimized Y comfort, making it even more urgent not to sit in the back. So how does PE (which I can live with, thank you) fit into this? I can't use eUpgrades to move from Flex to PE, and an eUpgrade from PE to J is the same as for an M fare, so nothing to get excited about there.

What about LMUs? Has anyone been offered PE LMUs, either from PE to J, or from Y to PE? If yes, how is the pricing for those?

Otherwise I think I'll stay with the YYZ-NRT route and the 77W, and leave the nightmares to other people.

YULtide likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received an LMU for a Dreamliner from a Tango fare no less, and then I was able to standby for an upgrade to Exec First. Cost was reasonable to me anyway so... Do not expect it every time but was happy to grab it this time.

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A paid LMU? What was the cost?

YULtide likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    400 and change - quite reasonable I thought

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was the routing?

ACMM likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    YYZ-HND

londoncalling likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite! The PE seats look decent and service a reasonable compromise, but I have yet to experience it for myself. Maybe next month ...

One question: after you did the LMU, did that change your booking class? DId you end up getting 50% mileage credit, or the full credit?

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changed my booking class to N. mileage remains based on tango. This is considered and upgrade. Was bumped up to the front anyway ;)

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

londoncalling, tomh009 and WilliamQ like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    For my flight back. Was not offered anything at online checkin time. EF indicated exec first zeroed out. Chose not to check in online. At Haneda checkin counter inquired about rev upgrade to PE. Available. Offered. Less that outbound charge. Took it! PE per EF was almost zeroed out also. Happy to have the space.

Also met the HND concierge. Very nice person.

Next up. HKG. SIGH.

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well PE was definite premium-Econ rather than downgraded Exec-First.

Better than economy I am sure on the 787 but given a choice I would go for the up-front experience.

Overall positives
    • More leg room
    • Wider seats
    • Beverages were flowing as desired
    • Service was very good! Incharges from upfront kept coming back to PE to ensure I was taken care of - felt nice to be recognized and thanked for being there and taken care of
    • Fairly quiet
    • Even sitting in the middle area (chose an aisle seat) the larger windows on the 787 are great and allowed me excellent viewing when they were not dimmed
    • Personal Entertainment screen was more than adequate. No comparison to upfront in full J (which is awesome and huge by comparison
    Neutrals
    • Meals were mediocre - I think if I had asked I could have got a meal from ExecFirst but was not that hungry and was more thirsty! :p (see above in positives)
    • Comfort of the seat is not nearly as nice as the lay flat upfront. Recline is adequate, but would have liked a bit more for better sleeping. Also I found the seat quite hard ... now maybe after a few more 1000 BIS they will soften up :D
    • No noise-cancelling headsets provided in PE as in ExecFirst (not an issue for me as I carry by Bose noise cancelling earbuds)
    Negatives
    • Overhead bin in ExecFirst would take my smallish carryon on its edge. Overhead in PE would not :eek:
    • Although the middle seats in PE we all empty, I think it would be more uncomfortable if you were stuck in one of those ... yes still PE will all the good and bad, but still a middle seat. Unless you were travelling with family I think it may be a PITA to get in and out
    • When the person in front fully reclines it is a tad difficult to more easily in and out and of course when the person in front is a total **shole during meal service and does not move the seat one one has to elbow (an accident each time I assure you!) the head rest heartily each time you get in and out. :p for the remainder of the flight :p ;)
    • Note - seems the bulkhead seats in PE still have the fixed arm rests if that bothers you
    • Also the screens in bulkhead in PE are in the arm rests and did seem a bit smaller than those in the seat backs - at least when walking by they did to me

londoncalling and The Lev like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correction - next up SFO then HKG! I forgot :eek:

12. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your company only pays for Tango on long haul International? How cheap!! Do they at least pay for your LMU? I am seeing more of this corporate behaviour as fares go up which is why I ask.

ACMM likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any LMU is out of my own pocket ..... so I cannot afford to do it all the time but on the first 787 trip I thought it worthwhile.