LM King Edward Hotel Toronto - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another of the Toronto hotels I've stayed at frequently, though a 2nd choice to the Sheraton Centre for me. This one of the grand hotels built in the past, with beautiful architecture and design inside, and it's not dated, though I can't say when it was renovated last. You really feel special when you walk into the lobby. Refined elegance is the best way to put it, and I certainly don't dress that way.

If arriving in Toronto, the airport bus doesn't stop nearby; it'll be several blocks of walking to get to it. Also, the hotel isn't part of the PATH underground walkway system that exists downtown on the other side of Yonge St. Still it's near the subway system, and is right by the financial and entertainment districts of the city. Also, this side of Yonge Street is less built-up and it's a different feel for the city you get walking around here. Lots of great food places (restaurants and markets) are nearby.

The staff here are very friendly and ready to assist. Check-in has always gone smoothly, though, naturally, slows down if a lot of folks are there at the same time.

I've always been given a suite upgrade here with access to the lounge. Sometimes just a junior suite, sometimes a bigger one. There can be a lot of walking to get to your room, if it's in one of the far reaches; the hotel takes up a city block, but isn't very tall. Views will not really be an issue here. The rooms and bathrooms have always been terrific here.

The Club Lounge is of good size and I've never been in it when it's been crowded. A smaller selection of items at both mealtimes here than at the Sheraton Centre, but still good. Tables and sitting areas are spaced apart, so you don't feel crowded even if there are a good number of people there.

The restaurant, Victoria, has been a great place to eat for a long time. Their Sunday brunch is something special and worth making a reservation for.

I do like staying here, especially if it's not wintertime with cold temps. There is a special feeling entering the hotel or walking though the lobby, and it stays right with you when you get to your room.

2. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    The King Eddy is my preferred property in downtown Toronto.

It has an European, old NYC kind of feel to it. There's something charming about being greeted by the same uniformed doorman year after year after year. Service is consistently good. The lounge is great. And I pretty well always get upgraded to a massive suite.

The location is perfect in terms of being an easy walk to the old city market & Front Street theatres, with all their related cafes/restaruants/pubs in the neighbourhood. You can also access the underground via the King subway, and walk for miles through the shops under the Canada's business central.

The downside, for some, is no pool or parking. I prefer valet parking anyway, so not an issue for me.

While the Sheraton Centre also has good qualities, including the pool, lounge and location, I have experienced significant service issues every single time I have stayed there. Missed wake up calls. No Plat recognition. Once the valet refused to park my car because he was "too busy". After a dozen apologies, I just gave up.

As for the Westin Harbourfront, the last of the '3 *wood Amigos' downtown, I just find it cold and impersonal, even in the summer.

Cheers,

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add that I've never had the kinds of problems at the Sheraton Centre that are stated above, and I was there with 2 or 3 colleagues frequently. I will admit that valet parking there can be a real pain at rush periods, but I've never been refused.

The King Eddy definitely has a different old-world European elegance about it.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the King Eddy has better service (but the folks at the Sheraton have always treated me better) and bigger rooms. It definitely has an old-world feel to it (and that's not a dig on the furnishings [​IMG])!

I prefer the Sheraton for the lounge, but it's a monster of a hotel in size.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    King Edward really does have excellent Platinum treatment.

6. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to belabour, but rather to illustrate, the point - one time the Sheraton upgraded me to one of their larger 'Presidential Suites'. Imagine my surprise when I got the bill the next morning: they charged me for the difference! It took two calls and a personal visit to front desk before they relented. Once again, management apologized when I complained about this.

As I've said before on other threads, this is a mid-level Sheraton that happens to have a great lounge, nice pool area and terrific location. I just can't stand all the mistakes, often multiple, every time I give it another chance.

As for the King Eddy, I just don't experience the same kind of problems. At worst, I sometimes have to chase them for my Platinum amenity. At best, I was once upgraded to their largest (2500 sq ft) suite - with full kitchen, huge separate dining room, multiple level living rooms with fireplaces (one in the bedroom too), lots of bathrooms, etc, etc.. And I've lost track of how many times I've been welcomed by a fruit basket, chocolates and/or libations...

Still, for the price, and if there are no service issues, there's nothing wrong with the Sheraton either.

Cheers,