LM Khao Lak

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ChicagoEric, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would be interested in any recent experiences/stay at this property or tips for it. Have heard good things and looking forward to an upcoming trip. Additionally looking for a little advice on strategy for our stay.

Staying as a SPG Plat on an award. Booked into the garden view room, which is the only room that can be booked on points (to my knowledge).

We are interested in potentially upgrading to a villa. We have heard anecdotally that you can upgrade on a space available basis at checkin. Can anyone shed some light on what this might cost? I ask because we contacted the hotel and were told we could confirm an upgrade as follows:

Are these good rates? They seem quite high and I suspect are substantially higher than what might be offered at checkin. Any experiences/thoughts?

2. Last November, as a Platinum on an award stay, a suite upgrade was not available. I was able to upgrade to a Pool Villa for THB 2500 per night.

Well worth it IMHO.

3. 3 months ago. Upgrading to Pool Villa as Plat for free after the original suite we had upgraded to became unavailable.

Pool villa is ok, but essentially a studio room with a small private pool. Nice but not too flash. The bathroom was enormous,almost 1/3 the size of the living space.

As for Plat. treatment, it is known to be very good. We witnessed a fellow FT'er / Platinum get excellent treating from the GM, whom he'd obviously been corresponding with, while we were ignored (despite being Plat too). It was almost comical while the GM went on and on with this member, when there were a few more Plats in the lobby waiting for keys. Bitter much? A little, but hey, I'm petty.

Anyway.. we got break, suite, and 2 free cocktails, so they certainly meet the standard in that regard.

4. CJN

CJN

Haven't been since 2009, and did so as a Star gold, but we plopped down for one of the villas and it was worth every penny.

5. I'll post some photos and a trip report tonight when I get more time!

6. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed one night in early Jan.
    Is a fair way (15 min) out of Khao Lak and about 75min from the Airport.
    Briliant check-in service.
    Ate at the Japanese/ Indian restuarant which was very good.
    Very nice pool and overall feel to the resort.
    If diving in KL would recommend BigBlue as their boat departs from a northern pier closer to the LM

7. CJN

CJN

Yeah, its a fair distance from the airport and Phuket. But the little main strip in Khao Lak, which is accessible by hotel transport (or by local taxi [often a makeshift pickup truck bed with seats] on the way back for less), is a great way to save on food costs. Some pretty good Thai food for great prices. The resort restaurants are good though (or at least were in 2009 when I was there). Breakfast buffet at the main restaurant below check-in was phenomenal.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This property can be one of the greatest values anywhere.

To me the whole point of the properties is the villas, I wouldn't really be interested in the regular rooms.

During shoulder season and low season, and especially when the hotel is participating in the various buy x nights get y free nights promotions (eg Z3R, Z6R) the rates on the villas can be VERY reasonable.

I've certainly helped folks with the oceanfront villas with private pool for under US$250 per night. Whih is just amazing for the hard product you get.

Service here is ok, food is ok, but getting your own little strip of beach and private pool in standalone accomodations at a reasonable price is amazing.

As a matter of policy, and while some folks may experience otherwise, Platinum status doesn't entitle to a villa upgrade. But they do treat plats well with suites when available (some peak demand periods they won't be) and breakfast.

Still, if it's just a suite you're going to get, I'm not sure I'd choose this property. I'd find a time when the villas are reasonably priced and spring for one of those, because you can't get oceanfront villas with your own pool in very many places for a similar price point.

9. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with gleff - the oceanfront villas can be had for a phenomenal deal! My wife and I stayed at this property as part of our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but we both found it to be a great place to kick back and relax.

It doesn't get much better than this...
    [​IMG]

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Seems to lack the privacy one might desire ;)

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I found the 2 bedroom villa to offer sufficient privacy.

12. Around the pool? Outside?

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, no one was ever in the deluxe 1-bedroom, it's at the far end of the resort. So it's not that it's shielded, say, from the beach. Someone could walk by. But in six nights they pretty much never did. This was not high season though.

14. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were in the deluxe 1-bedroom and our experience was the same - there was hardly anyone ever on the beach in front of us. The edge of the property (and the beginning of the "jungle") is immediately to the right in the above picture, so it's definitely the most private location at the resort.

15. This resort has only nine suites, so upgrades can be dicey in high season. However, as I mentioned above, a Pool Villa (not ocean front) has a totally private pool in its walled garden, and could be had for an additional fee of about US$81 (on top of an awards stay's points) last November.

16. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here Feb. 27- March 2. Was high season so no upgrade available :-( The Hotel grounds were amazing and the Breakfast was Superb. I prefered the Breakfast in the Main dining hall for the selection. Used the Hotel Camry for Pickup ($60 each way-saved the trouble of dealing with cabs on a 12:00 am arrival )

17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Australian Travel Zoo website is offering this property as follows: Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort is offering a 3-night package featuring upgraded deluxe accommodation, daily breakfast, exclusive dining and spa discounts and more for only $239 per stay for two. The package is valued at more than $730.

This exclusive offer is valid for 3-night stays until 15 October and includes all of these extras:
    • Guaranteed upgrade to a Deluxe Pool View Room
    • Daily buffet breakfast
    • Late checkout to 4pm
    • 30% off all food and beverage at the property’s eight restaurants and bars
    • 30% off all spa treatments at Le Spa
    • Complimentary in-room internet access (regularly $17 per day)
    • Kids 12 and under stay and eat free (limit one child per dining adult)
    http://www.travelzoo.com/au/local-deals/deal/1549

gleff and sdcarver like this.
  18. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking of booking a 4 night stay in July at this resort, using the buy 3 nights get 4 free nights promotion. If I book the lowest category villa (Lagoon Villa), does anyone have an input on the chances of getting a free upgrade to a Pool (or even better, Beachfront) Villa?

19. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the property doesn't upgrade to villas as a Plat. You can pay to upgrade based on availability.

20. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    same experience here, they only upgrade to suites in the main building, ocassionaly you can get lucky and get a Villla but I would not count on it...

sdcarver

21. Playbbg
    Original Member

Playbbg Active Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded from a Pool Villa to the Oceanfront Villa last month. I really enjoyed the Oceanfront villa, but its not really "front" its more across some trees and a small path. still a great hotel with WONDERFUL Villa Hosts!

gleff and sdcarver like this.
  22. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just back from a stay at this resort, and I must admit that my feelings about this property is mixed. It did not completly meet the expectations I had.

First of all, low season has the advantages of great rates - also for the villas. However, as the previous poster pointed out: The mosquitos are quite a few, and it was hard to sit outside in the evenings. Deet 30 did not prevent me from getting bitten a lot - I usually do not have an issue with mosquitos. In addition, both the Indian and Korean restaurants seem closed during the summer. After a few days you get bored with the food. And no breakfast for plats/villa guests in the thai restaurant during the low season, just in the normal breakfast restaurant (or in-room, with fewer alternatives).

The nature surrounding this resort is fantastic, including the stunning beach. However, the wildlife does have an impact on resort. There are wild dogs (or at least one) wandering around, ants in both hotel room and villa and a lot of geckos everywhere. Some probably love this closeness to the nature, others not. We decided to change from our oceanfront villa to a suite in the hotel when four or five geckos were creeping around high in the ceiling, impossible to get out for both us and the housekeeping. (Yes, I now they are harmless, but it is not easy to sleep knowing they are hanging over you).

The oceanfront villa is indeed in a lovely setting and quite private. However, it felt a bit worn and tired. We had just stayed in villas at the Napasai (Orientexpress- about same rate) and the W (more expensive) at Koh Samui and those were a lot better - another league, actually.

The service is also very variable. Some staffers are amazing, others more indifferent. Twice we were woken up by a gardener/leave blower at 9am in the morning (we like to sleep long when we are on holiday - why on earth start with this so early?), another (early) morning two or three staffers were sitting on the day bed in our garden using their cell phones (!).

However, if something goes wrong, the resort seemed very good at compensating for this. When we arrived (at 6pm), our villa was not ready due to problems with the AC. Was offered free massage while waiting. In addition we were offered another free massage for the above mentioned room change, plus all upgrade fees were waived as we only had the oceanfront pool villa one night (the initial booking was a lagoon spa villa).

To sum up: A nice resort with a stunning setting and a lot of potenial - keep your expectations on a moderate level, and you will probably be satisfied.

(Moderator: Please move this to the hotel's master thread - if such exits)

gleff likes this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As posted by Dan's Deals and I confirmed with a 4-night mock booking for late May, rooms are going for around $83++/night and lagon spa villas for $134++/night ... great rates if you are planing a trip during the period, especially if you have Platinum status:

gleff likes this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is also on offer on its official website with TravelZoo code. $79/night w/upgrade & breakfast: 50% Off - Suites & Villas from $109/night.