Living Social signup on DL itineraries

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look at trip details on delta.dumb, just above the ticket number there now is a signup for Living Social email offers at your destination with your email address already filled in. It would be very very easy to accidentally click the sign up button (which looks very much like part of DL's website in design, font, and color) and find yourself on their mailing list. It really looks like DL is making these offers, not Living Social. There is also a space to fill in your zip code in order to receive "home" offers.

I never noticed this before and I would be upset to have my email address given out to this outfit.

Has anyone else noticed this or had trouble with it?

rwoman, jrp2 and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow that's pretty sneaky.

Do you have a (redacted) screenshot? I don't have any upcoming DL flights to check for myself and I'm wondering if this is some generic "follow you around the web" Living Social business or if it's actually just on Delta.

uggboy likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how to post a redacted version easily.

The thing even is offering me deals for the nearby big city when it recognizes that I'm flying into a small airport.

It will be interesting to see whether something similar pops up when I try to print a boarding pass.

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does this bother you so much? Just don't click to accept the Living Social offers if you are not interested.
    Btw- living social has had some very nice deals and is a legit deal site...

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    it bothers me because it would be very easy to sign up and give them my email by accident. Read my post....the signup button looks just like the check in now button and the thing seems to be part of the DL trip itinerary page rather than some outside ad. My email address has already been automatically filled in so one accidental click and Living Social has me on their list, which might be very difficult and time consuming to undo.

BTW Living Social might be considered legit with some nice deals, but the promos of which I'm aware seem to have features like the DL SC confusion regarding one day versus one entry, the omission of my favorite local spa's restrictions on services, lack of openness about restaurant limitations to certain days and hours, etc., plus I don't like the large costs to merchants of these deals as in principle it seems to me that Living Social is taking too much from the transaction.

mrredskin likes this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did read your post. Whenever buying deals from group purchasing companies, you all must read the fine print. You are right- there can be lots of restrictions, but you can get some great deals. The large commission being paid to a Living Social, Groupon or any of the other similar sites is what I feel they are paying for the marketing/ advertising they are receiving.

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i wouldn't have an issue with it if not for the fact that living social deals, for the most part, are now horrible.