Little confused...need some guidance

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Kikaida, May 18, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Kikaida

Kikaida New Member

Status Points:
    So, not very knowledgeable on the whole "Points/Miles" thing but two things are for sure.
    1. I have a substantial purchase coming up in two weeks ($4k)
    2. I'll be going on vacation next year (airline costs)

With those two factors, I just upgraded to the Chase Sapphire to take advantage of their offer (55k points with $4k within 3 months...including added user)

With that it appears that I'll save at least several hundred (they say $625) if I do nothing else...But of course I'll be using this card throughout the year adding more points.

My question is...should I have another substantial purchase that would bring me to the bonus of another card, say Capital Ones Venture...and I redeem 40,000 points from them.....How is all this combined? Are these points interchangeable? Would I have a total balance of 95,000 points in one big pot *OR* is this separate and exclusive? If that is the case, how can one reap the benefit of buying for example ONE ticket using all 95K points? Or can't you?

I read mention of redeeming points through Chase's web portal...what if I went to an airline or other booking site, is there a way to pool all of this together?

Thanks in advance

edekba likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use points from Chase and CapOne then you cannot pool them. You could buy one way with one set of points and the return with the other points but that may not be viable depending on where you want to go and what the fares are. If the second card you chose was part of the Chase family of cards (e.g. Ink) then you could tie them all to one Chase Ultimate Rewards account and redeem that way.

Still not really and be careful about just booking through the Chase web portal as that's typically a fixed-rate redemption and often not the best deal.

edekba likes this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to IF.

Think about it this way. If you have a Wal-mart Gift card, and a Target Gift card, could you combine them both to spend at either (or at K-mart?) Points and Miles are very similar in the way that you can combine. (Don't get this confused with alliances which are completely different.)

Stick with the basics for now... points/miles are only good on the carrier on which they are earned (through flying, etc.) or credited (CC mileage offers.) And, as @Wandering Aramean mentioned, be wary of the card sites for booking travel; they may not always be the best deal.

edekba and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. Kikaida

Kikaida New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I just don't want to end up chasing my tail with a bunch of cards, bastard points all over the place when I'm just looking to save a few hundred bucks next year and ease the pain of the current $4k purchase with the discount of a future assured travel purchase.

edekba likes this.
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could add 15K UR with the Chase Unlimited card. It's no fee, earns 1.5 UR on all spend and you only need to spend $500 in 3 months to get the 15K.

edekba likes this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you knew what airline you were likely to fly next year (and they were an Ultimate Rewards partner) you could try applying for one of their cards if you were looking to get another card. For example, UR transfers to United. In that way, you're likely to get enough from a United sign-up bonus to get at least a one-way ticket in coach in the event that you couldn't find a good deal by transferring all your UR points to United. As others have said above, the bigger opportunity here is to transfer the UR points somewhere you could find "saver" inventory as opposed to just having UR buy the tickets for you.

edekba and Dublin_rfk like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like everyone else said; its two different sets of currency so to speak. If you want to combine you'll need to get the same type.

Your 55k UR points does translate to $625 in airfare through the Chase portal; but as WA and Pizzaman said this isnt the best use of UR points...