Listing of current W fares (perhaps with CPM)?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Misplaced Texan, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've alway intended to ask this in the other place, but never got around to it. So, for new cool content here at MiPo, does anyone know of a site or tool that provides a listing of W fares (even better if it includes CPM) in the same way that farecompare does for all coach fares?

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that Expert Flyer should be able to price out W fares.

3. ConciergeMike
    Original Member

ConciergeMike Silver Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer can price them, sure, but I think he's more looking for something that has almost like a MileCalc function built in, that upon seeing what fares are filed such a tool would compute CPM.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha! In that case, I am just not sure. Maybe flying fish?

5. ConciergeMike
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just tell Seth. Give him 24 hours and a few pots of coffee, and he'll have it taken care of.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might be able to make something work, though it would be based on O/D pair, not routing. Is that sufficient?

Also, is there a subset of city pairs that you'd like to start with? Running the queries takes a bit of time and I'd almost certainly use a static set of city pairs to start and see how well it scales up, with the results you see being based on a cached version of the fare list rather than a live search every time. Since fares filed don't change too often I don't think that should be too hard.

Basically, if I can start with a 5x5 matrix or something just to do a proof of concept would that be useful? If so, I'm taking nominations for the 5x5 candidates to get started.

I don't drink coffee. :p

IDGflygirl and joesmoe like this.
  7. ConciergeMike
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All the more reason that it would only take you 24 hours. [​IMG]

8. ConciergeMike
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As far as city pairs, why not use routes where burning a SWU makes real sense and delivers a return on all the flying needed to get them? LAX/SFO-SYD, ORD-HKG, hub-LHR come to mind.

joesmoe likes this.
  9. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try Farecompare's FT search page, tick destinations (ie, Asia, Europe), specify UA (on the lefthand side), then sort by "Fare Class" (column header). Last summer, I found my $883 all in MRY-SFO-ZRH fare that way - minus $600 TCs and SWUs made a great $300-ish MR weekend. YMMV.

Freddie Listo and HiIslands like this.
  10. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add to my previous post, if you have a specific destination in mind, using the same FC FT search page, click "+More", "Show All Fares in this Market", again specify UA via "Carrier filters" and sort by "Fare Class". You can then see W, V fares (along with all others) for your city pair plus 'as the crow flies' cpm.

11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but it will only return Ws if there aren't enough low-bucket fares to hit whatever its search max is. What I'm looking for is something that not just shows me MR-worthy Ws but also would let me answer a question like "what's the cheapest upgradeable fare I can get across the pacific" if I want to go to Asia and don't want to wait on a MR fare.

If the Wandering Aramean wants to take a crack at something new, maybe the experimental cities would be east coast gateways (WAS and BWI are most interesting to me, but if NYC and BOS would probably help others in a test version) to typically cheap Asian destinations (BKK, SGN, SIN).

But, maybe I'm complicating things too much. The mileage calculation is really secondary (I could build something to grab values from a table of mileages using standard routings out of WAS ). The first step is whether there is a utility anywhere that would give me a list of all current W fares from a point of origin to a specific region--or even the cheapest 50 Ws from that origin to the region. Does anything like that exist.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Start with this as the UI: http://www.wandr.me/W_Fares_Tracker.aspx/. I'll make it pretty (and add point-point routing and cpm) later but that's the basic idea of what I'm shooting for. I had to create a basic UI template first to make sure that I'm pulling the correct data.

Do you want only W fares or are there other letters I should consider, too?

IDGflygirl and mundosurfer like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK...I think I got it working now, including CPM and Great Circle distances. Right now it is a 6x5 grid of ORD, SFO, IAD, BOS, LAX and NYC to SYD, SIN, BKK, NRT and PVG. Obviously as I add more cities the time to populate the data goes up significantly but I will eventually just set it to run every night at midnight like some of my other tools so that shouldn't be an issue. A few things I'll still need to figure out, like what it does when it has two days' worth of data, but I cannot know that until tomorrow. In the mean time, check it out (http://www.wandr.me/W_Fares_Tracker.aspx/) and let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm open to nominations for the next set of cities to be included. Either post here or PM me.

14. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Long live the GME!

Ygor likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another thought I had....I'm thinking maybe an alert system if fares fall below a certain CPM. You could subscribe from any particular departure city, maybe? What do folks think?

scf, Ygor, why fly and 1 other person like this.
  16. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be awesome...

Did a quick look into your current matrix and it looks good... I noticed that the CPM calculation is based on OW distance when the fare itself is a roundtrip fare, which makes the CPM look a lot higher than it is... A simple adjustment to the distance column to reflect the roundtrip distance should resolve this...

LHR would be a good candidate, because I have seen some really decent W fares to LHR... In the $700-800 range if you book on CO.com, but not sure if that means you can't use SWUs...

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A few more details and cities now included:

[​IMG]

On the Origin side I've added SAN, DEN, SEA. On the destination side I've added FRA, LHR, MUC, BRU.

Still not perfect as the data source doesn't always make min/earliest/latest easily parsed, but I've got the info in there where I can see it.

Definitely have an issue of double entries based on how I'm storing the fare data; I'm still working on that. But better more than fewer.

Oh, and I had to move it "inside" where you need an account to get at the data. Sorry about that, but it is what it is.

tjtenor4 and snap like this.
  18. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Very cool and very helpful. One PITA question though, do these include the YQ or are these just base fare?

19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That would be awesome too. I will probably use these more as "I have a week off coming up and want to go to X, what's cheap and upgradeable." But, if there were a great W fare out there I'm sure a lot of folks would be willing to jump on it quickly.

Actually, strike that, don't do alerts...wouldn't want the W bucket to sell out too quickly on me [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    These are published fare as seen on travelocity.ca. I'm not certain but I believe that excludes the YQ right now.

I've also hit a small performance snag in the great circle/cpm calculations so those are on hold for now. And I actually have to work today so likely late tonight before I can address that better.

21. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the other "United hubs" of CLE and IAH could be added, that would be great..

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've set those to be included in tomorrow's data pull.

Mackieman likes this.
  23. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a really cool tool. It's almost like farecompare's Y-Up tool.

Though I wonder, is there the possibility of having it search limited and/or sorted to only those flights that show NC or NF available?

24. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seth, you are a credit to this community and your work is nothing short of outstanding!!!!!

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This would require specifying dates, finding the W fare first and then finding the NC space. I like hacking together nifty & useful apps but that's a step beyond my skill set or dedication.

That said, I do hope to integrate my ITA link option soon. I've built it previously so the integration process should be reasonably quick once I have some time to test. The basic idea is a link to the ITA 30-day matrix for trips of 2-6 nights for the city pair and fare in question. Thus far I've been using the legacy matrix but I might convert to the new one as part of this effort.