list the best CC's for European car rentals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cotter77, May 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking though my stack on CC's (20-some of them)
    which ones will:
    1) avoid foreign transaction fees
    AND
    2) best insurance coverage type protection
    any of the big cards out there do this? I have too many to list.

I know AMEX usually offers solid protection but NOT all AMEX cards do, right?
    Marriott VISA? Sapphire preferred waives foreign fees only?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My CO OnePass card provides primary insurance, but has forex fee.
    My Sapphire/Priority Club cards have secondary insurance only, but not forex.

I tend to opt for the OnePass card as the forex fee is small in comparison to the potential benefit.

I'd be interested in a card that combines both benefits.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likewise.

Be careful: there are some parts of "Europe" where the usual insurance coverage doesn't apply. Ireland comes to mind. And I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred (and Hyatt?) insurance might be primary when outside of home country.

TAHKUCT and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ireland is the devil when it comes to car rental. Credit card coverage does not apply, and insurance is expensive. When we were there, I think we paid about $100 to rent a car for a week — and about $600 in insurance. We knew it would happen and weren't surprised, but it was clear from the demeanor of the clerks at the auto rental desk ("now, sir, we have to talk about insurance and I don't want you to become upset, so perhaps you would like to sit down first. . .") that many customers are very surprised.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, thanks for the tip. I'll re-read the Sapphire terms as I have a Canada rental coming up soon.

6. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    I dug up the Chase Sapphire Preferred T&C's. The excluded countries are Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. And...

"Outside your country of residence or if you do not have automobile insurance, this benefit is primary in those countries where it is available, and in that case, you do not have to claim payment from any other source of insurance before receiving the benefits."

I'm seeing the same terms from the Hyatt Visa and an unrelated BofA-issued Visa.

7. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Reviving this thread because I'm planning an Ireland trip, and I'm looking for cards that provide rental insurance. I found these ideas and am looking for others:
    http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelchai/2013/08/27/chase-ink-auto-rental-cdw/

Edited to add: I received the new T&C's for several newer Chase cards, and all appear to have removed explicit country restrictions (Sapphire, Ink, and Hyatt).

8. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:

9. I rented from Hertz in DUB last year with my AMEX platinum card and when they tried to argue with me I called AMEX in Toronto who once again confirmed they cover car rentals in Ireland.

10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where you are based, but my US Auto Insurance covers me in a rental in Canada. You just need to get your agent to get you a "yellow card" for Canada.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.