Linking reservations

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by WhiteDesert, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm an idiot. I booked a domestic flight yesterday using a flight credit that I had from a cancelled trip last year. When planning this, I stupidly thought that I could use the credit (~$680) to cover the costs (~$250) of both my ticket and the ticket of the person I'll be traveling with. Of course the Expedia agent cleared up my misunderstanding quite quick, but I figured that the $150 change fee cost for my ticket was still coming out ahead. So, I booked my ticket using the credit, and then went and booked another ticket for my companion. I then went in and made sure the seats were what we wanted.

I called US Air this morning and was told that there isn't any way to link the two trips, such that they become a single reservation. I'm pretty sure I can get my companion to be able to board with me in the Zone 1 group without too much trouble, but on the off chance I get upgraded it will be a bit annoying.

My questions:
    1. Was the US Air person correct, or is there some way to link the two itineraries that I'm not aware of?
    2. If I manage to get upgraded, will anyone get their nose bent out of shape if I switch seats with my companion? I have never tried to switch seats across cabins before, and sitting in first would mean more to her than to me.

Thanks.

2. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask for a PNR merge and cross your fingers their system can handle it.

Changing seating between cabins will probably upset somebody. I have a family of four, been there done that. The best bet is if you get upgraded, ask the GA to do the swap before you board the plane, so there are no questions. They don't have to do it, so have a nice speech and be prepared for a denial.

GAs are the seating royalty and have the last say.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. The best any GDS can do is put notes in the reservations showing that they are related but you won't get the two merged into a single PNR.

desert_gecko likes this.
  4. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick intel, guys.
    Much appreciated.

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also switch seats after take off. Just let the flight attendants know in advance. I have seen people do this in the past. I have even see where one partner gave up their first seat for a lucky person in coach so they could sit next to their sweetheart (and the bummer of it all is the person from coach that was upgraded TOTALLY didn't take advantage of being in first class.)

desert_gecko likes this.