Limerick to Dublin to Galway – same day – bus or train? Should I book in advance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by iolaire, Apr 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next week I will be traveling from Limerick to Dublin for dialysis and then returning to Galway in the evening to meet up with my group. It seems as if using the bus is just as good as the train, time wise etc.. with a lower cost. My departure time from Dublin is not fixed so I don't exactly know when I'd be ready to depart on the train or bus.

Is there any reason to pick say the train over the bus? (I'm not traveling over the strike on the 1st and 2nd...)

Also other than receiving a small discount on the bus is there any reason to book in advance? From what I can tell there are not timed tickets on the bus - www.buseireann.ie .

(I think if I go with the train I would save more money prebooking.)

Also it seems like Three Ireland has very good prices for SIM cards with unlimited data for €20. Any reason to go with another company?

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also going to be there over the summer. So it is indeed of interest to me as I have Cork also in the mix.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As to the Dublin-Galway route back, you'll find train prices will increase significantly if you want to purchase on day of travel, as they control seats much like airlines with the cheap tickets available to those that can purchase in advance. An afternoon departure later today Dublin-Galway is 35 euros, where an advance purchase fare for travel in two weeks would be as low as 15 euros. You'll pay a premium with rail for last minute travel.

When I backpacked Ireland pretty regularly I would just walk up and buy a ticket at the ticket window for bus travel, or from the driver in places like Doolin. I can think of one route from Killarney, about 10 years back, that had more passengers than the bus could accommodate and they brought a second bus and driver in. I don't know if they still do that, or if it's limited to certain cities that might have more demand than space on the initial bus. I'd be concerned about this if it's a football weekend in Dublin or a holiday weekend with a lot of passengers coming and going. I just don't know how they currently handle routes with more passengers than space as my experience is from a decade ago. Have mostly used train the last few years just because it's more comfortable.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the background, re train travel, are the tickets timed? Or could I pre buy a ticket and use it on either of the 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30 PM train (times made up). I can not focus my departure time to return.

Never mind, I see I need to book times. I think I'll go with the bus. I also like the busses end in central Dublin, which is good because I have to head north towards near the airport, and that is just one city bus rather than city train, plus a bus.

I'm taking the train in to Dublin since those times are fixed. I was thinking about it on the return but the change fee is 10 euro if I judge wrong, so I'll just take the bus with more time options.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing compelling. I used an O2 MVNO when I was there, and the pricing was pretty similar to the €20 you're seeing.

Back to the travel logistics: my first instinct would be to try (again?) to find a dialysis option in Limerick or Galway. Avoiding 400km of Irish motorways has some serious charm.

iolaire likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but that was not an option. My coordinator contacted centers across the country and they did not have space. But later a private facility in Dublin that previously did not have space ended up having space. I leave tomorrow and just today I was finally confirmed for my treatments next week.

traveltoomuch and anileze like this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope all goes well, and you have a great trip.

traveltoomuch and iolaire like this.