Limerick, Ireland... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by viguera, Nov 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's Ireland season... :)

Things are shaping up and I might need to spend a week or two in Limerick in December. I had to Google this up as I didn't even know where it was in relation to the rest of the country.

Any thoughts on everything? Preferred airlines, airport issues, car rentals, major hotel chains, etc?

I don't expect the Park Hyatt Limerick or anything like that, but obviously I'd hate to "throw away" a couple of weeks of no-questions-asked company spend... :)

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you decide to rent a car, pay attention to CC insurance T&Cs; many exclude coverage in Ireland. Some of Chase's premium cards (e.g. Sapphire Preferred) changed their T&Cs in the last year to include coverage in Ireland. Even then, expect dodgy rental car companies. I had Hertz add a 30EUR fee for declining their own insurance. They did not disclose the fee at time of reservation, which was particularly annoying. And make sure you take photos or video of the car before leaving the lot, just in case.

Airlines: if you were buying the ticket yourself, remember the value to be had using BA Avios for Aer Lingus, especially out of Boston. RT from Boston for 25K Avois in economy, 50K in business. Beyond that, UA has a daily flight from EWR, probably on a 757 with CO's BusinessFirst seat. And the Shannon airport has US preclearance.

You won't find as many chain hotels in Ireland as in the US or, indeed, as in most other destinations. Pay attention to Tripadvisor, be willing to try a non-chain, and keep your expectations modest.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I was looking at UA with a daily nonstop red eye out of EWR. That looks like the easy choice for me for personal reasons.

The car rental is the only thing that I'm on the fence about, as I usually don't rent when I'm in Europe.

I guess we'll see how that plays out.

The hotel business is gonna kill me though. Giving up the points is against my nature nowadays :)

4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    There wants was a woman from reading... Oh sorry, wrong type of limerick! ;)

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't intend to use package (or other) tours you better plan driving there is not a lot of public transport options. Driving however is on the left like to UK and other former British colonies
    Note also many CC companies do not carry coverage in Ireland certainly Amex does not ( another reason to hold a Diners Club) I never had an problems declining the renters coverage and haven't encountered any so-called "dodgy" ones.

viguera likes this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used Europcar at Shannon Airport (+ other visits to Ireland where I lost a few car mirrors on a wall or hedge;-) and we stayed at the Adare Manor which was a cool place but well outside Limerick. Also stayed at the Strand and Radisson Blu before which were both quite nice.

there is a small restaurant in Limerick CBD called Freddy's Bistro that I thought was excellent :eek:

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spend time outside Limerick if at all possible. A drive down to Dingle, for example, is much nicer than staying in Limerick IMO.

viguera and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I'll plan to do that if time allows. The trip is work related, but it would be nice to squeeze in some local sights.

Wandering Aramean likes this.