Lima

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by sfo1, Jul 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Visitng Lima for 5 days in Feb. any thoughts of what to see and where to spend some time. Have read about Lima on Virtual Tourist from members, but perhaps some on here might have some suggestions.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just Lima, or time in addition to those 5 days in other parts of Peru? Overall there are several weeks worth of things to see and do in that country.

uggboy likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, this trip just Lima.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to PM the Pisco guy that lurks around these fora... me thinks he knows the ropes around Lima....

sfo1 and uggboy like this.
  5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The old part of the city is worth a day. Another day for the major museums (the Natural History Museum and the Larco Herrera Museum) and some time around Miraflores. That leaves you time for excursions outside Lima. I know people who have flown down to Nazca for a day trip, for example. (And the Nazca lines were one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.)

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the best part of Lima is places you can visit outside of Lima.

In the city:

Museo Oro del Peru deserves its strong reputation.

Plaza Mayor.

Larcomar is the only interesting thing in Miraflores, which is basically any other upper-class neighborhood in Latin America. Largely residential, gated, closed off.

It's worth paying extra for one of the top ceviche places.

IDGflygirl, sfo1 and uggboy like this.
  7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather liked Lima. Parque de Amor in Miraflores is interesting. Plaza Mayor. Larcomar is a shopping center, and not a particularly interesting one. Duh.

Pachacamac day trip is interesting. Amazing how arid the places outside the city are. Scary, in fact. I would like to know how those neighborhoods on the barren dirt hillsides are organized .They are all blocked off with neon fencing and what appear to be bright colored plastic steps. Too steep for roads.

Link to some photos below.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1WHRLD/Peru2010

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lima is an amazing city for foodies..... this city has been a Mecca of sorts for many Latin American Chefs, and all that is created here has been a blessing for the Culinary Arts all over South America, Buenos Aires included.

IDGflygirl and Espan like this.
  9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean these?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblos_jóvenes

lili likes this.
  10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Rather than the usual barrio sprawl these places seem to be neatly squared off communities that are separated from each other by different colors of bright fencing or something. The yellow things in the photo below are steps. Hard to tell from a speeding van.

IMG_9838.JPG

11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2008 Salzburg Do dinner at Red Bull Hangar 7 featured guest chef Gastón Acurio, who's Lima restaurant is/was “Astrid y Gastón”. (Incidently, we were served a wine from the Guadlalupe Valley in Mexico very near where I live. 2002 Nebbiolo Privada Reserva, L.A. Cetto)

Gaucho likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Astrid & Gaston has a branch here in Buenos Aires.... not bad, but overpriced and not as good as the original in my view...

Espan likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting you would mention the wines of the Guadalupe Valley.... there is a very nice blend called Duetto. Good stuff... if I remember correctly, there is some US winemaking involved in the making of this wine, dont recall all the details. Cetto is perhaps one of the most renowned wine producers in Mexico, at least that was the case when I spent a lot of time in Mexico back in the late 90ies early 2000´s....

14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice pix. I'm filing them away for our spring 2012 trip.

15. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaston's two main "chains" are Astrid y Gaston and La Mar Cebicheria. Can be found in Quito, Caracas, Madrid, San Fran, New York, and more. Gaston has really done some amazing things w/ ceviches and "leche de tigre"s. Recently stopped by the San Francisco La Mar and it was excellent. Quality control w/ such a far flung empire is a problem at time. He opened a La Mar in San Jose, Costa Rica that was extremely inconsistent and closed in short orde. When he's on his game, Gaston's cuisine is memorable...