Likes as currency- controlling coinage

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Likes are an interesting feature. They seem to have value to the recipient without any apparent cost to the giver. I suspect economists could write volumes about the issues that creates.

Now, I realize it is possible that there are hidden costs in the algorithm, but since the users aren't aware of those, they can spend like they have an unlimited printing press. I've looked at the back end of XenForo and I don't think anything is built in yet to place a cost or limit on likes, but perhaps you can lean on the developers to incorporate something. I feel a simple throttling system will even things out more.

For example, new members could have 5 likes to give a day, active members could have 10 likes a day, silvers 20, golds 30; or new members could give 1 per hour, silvers 5 per hour, golds 10 per hour. That will accomplish many things- people will like more judiciously, long term members who understand the character of the site will be free to "like" more than newer members (with the idea that they have a more measured eye), and likes will hold more personal meaning to the recipient.

samonyc, savydog, lili and 5 others like this.
  2. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the likes have developed as a 'culture' here on MP. It may be difficult to make this polite gestures have a cost and still maintain a friendly atmosphere. I try not to like posts unless I think they make a valid point, or say something I agree with. But when you post in a nonsense thread, and someone likes everything you say, it feels almost rude not to reciprocate. So I see your point about 'like inflation'.

The best idea I have heard so far (in another thread; I don't recall the author of the suggestion :() is to have multiple forms of appreciation, similar to Yelp.com. One button for "Cool/Interesting/Funny" and one for "Useful". Perhaps a third button for "Agree". If there was a change to the software, this is the direction I would move: adding new functionality rather than trying to impose a different culture on a current system.

An additional consideration: unless you reset all the current 'like' counters, they will never really have meaning here (other than polite/friendly acknowledgment), because some people have a nearly insurmountable head start. You may need a peso-style revaluation where you drop three digits from current 'like' counts.

3. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to find out how many likes a member has given? Just curious. :)

4. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

I do agree with Gargoyle about the need to potentially limit the number of likes in circulation. However, giving the long term members a huge pool of likes could lead to nepotism. A group of friends could very well game the system by awarding each other lots of likes ...

Do I have a solution? No. But it will take many factors to find the perfect system, if such a thing even exists.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

savydog and Original Member like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have, but not in a way that actually helps to build content. I understand why they are part of the software and mostly how they are being used. And I think it is a disservice to the community. Too many people are more focused on gaming the system and getting their status than they are on helping build content that is useful for travel-related inquiries.

If the goal of this site is just to be a community loosely associated around travel then maybe I'm missing the mark here, but I was under the impression that it was supposed to be something more about the travel knowledge, not about building meaningless status.

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that in early stages of MP, suggestion was made that "like" shopuld replace post of "+1" type... So, I have "liked" post number one in this thread. But perhaps I should also say
    +1
    :D
    And +1 to post #5 too :p

savydog, Original Member and Gargoyle like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Click on their avatar or user name. You have 29,996 currently but I'm sure that will increase in a few minutes.

8. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Chimpy was asking is there way to find out how many likes a member has given out to others not how many likes have been given to a person.

9. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's it :D

Kaanapali, JALPak, savydog and 3 others like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, you're right. However, I would be willing to bet that Chimpy has given out more than this many likes; he's been extremely generous in MP. I'm sure the admins in HOM can find it; they probably have an option to display it automatically. Perhaps some expert who has looked at the "back end" of MP can confirm this.

savydog, Original Member and Chimpy like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I thought it was a funny question for you to be asking, but I attributed it to beer and cricket, not necessarily in that order, while I should blame wine and jetlag.

savydog, Original Member and Chimpy like this.
  12. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great idea Gargoyle - it does seem like we need some way to manage likes a bit better and limit the amount given out. All the ideas you mentioned sound like exactly what we need.

13. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

One additional idea could also be to limit the number of likes one can give in a single thread ...

GenevaFlyer

Original Member likes this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the idea of describing likes as being monetized as a currency. As soon as likes were included in the algorithm, the race was on to collect them and to give them out.
    If likes have no value except as pure feedback with no impact on points and status, then the issue would be irrelevant.

15. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    milchap,

Very true. Just like the influence of post count on status creates an urge to post unnecessary posts.

Any system has its flaws, and I'm sure that the MP team will find ways to ensure that status does not just become something for the gamers of the system.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Original Member and Kaanapali like this.
  16. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think with the recent addition of the newest Gold members.....the idea of accumulating likes for status (or to get points to get status) has been greatly diminished. The manual selection of these members eliminates points/likes/posts numerical calculations being equated with status...the algorithm does not seemingly control status per se at levels higher than silver.

savydog, kwai and Original Member like this.
  17. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another forum I used to visit had a concept called Karma and you could only give Karma once per hour. That would give more meaning to it, otherwise we just keep living every post in the "Post a random number" thread.

18. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likes are like a magic penny... hold it tight and you won't have any. Lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many
    They'll roll all over the floor.

savydog and milchap like this.
  19. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another medofology I like is that once a like is handed out, another like cannot begiven to the same recipient until n likes are given out to others. A version of that could be a time delay, such as n minutes, between likes (as we have here with posts).

20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'd have to be really bored and/or obsessed to create a corrupt ring of frequent likers in order to totally dominate the like rankings on MP, a site where likes don't really get you much besides more status points, which are also valueless beyond some chest thumping. That said. I agree with Gargoyle that the system might be better if likes had value both to the giver and receiver.

21. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    im not sure this really accomplishes the goal though.

and wouldnt there also have to have some kind of counter display?

Original Member and kwai like this.
  22. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would hinder extended discussion, which would certainly have a detrimental effect.

23. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there are threads like 'Random Numbers' etc, for which there is little reason, I'm still miffed at the belief that any posts in social threads is nothing more than post padding.

And other than silver it does not appear that posts, likes, or points is counting toward gaining gold status.

And then, what an outrage, that people who try to game hotels, airlines etc are being accused of gaming a system. Absolutely evil if proved to be true. :D

24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    mrburns_excellent1.JPG

25. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish there was a series of buttons: