Likely Purchasing an iPad2, Questions about Accessories

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having given up on winning an iPad2 from Randy, I'm going to take the plunge and buy one soon.

Trying to figure out if I need to purchase accessories that Apple offers with it, connectors, AppleCare, etc.

The Apple SmartCover looks slick, but I don't think it's right for me. I plan on buying the Otterbox Defender for iPad2 whenever it comes out.

The primary uses for iPad2: eBook reading, some internet browsing (buying wi-fi only model), Skyping while on road, but a bunch of video watching from ripped DVDs (from laptop, figuring out how to get them onto iPad2).

Appreciate any advice.

Chimpy likes this.
  2. I use 'DVDFab' to rip DVDs to my IPad2. I got the smart cover, but decided to use a folio cover that covers the back as well.

2soonold likes this.
  3. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I purchased an Otterbox Defender for my iPad 1 and it could well be my best investment yet, as my iPad got knocked off the table and came out unscathed. It does add to the weight quite a lot but I feel it makes it seem more solid to hold on to. With the stand in the cover it makes it ideal for use on the plane.
    I use DVDFab as well to rip the dvd's easy and fast.

Kaanapali, JALPak and 2soonold like this.
  4. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you possibly wait for the ipad3?
    Wont be long! ;)

Casey Friday and 2soonold like this.
  5. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got an iPad2 with the smart cover and I love it.

I never buy cases for any of my electronics. It pains me to add bulk to electronics that are expensive because they are so small. But I did buy a smart cover and I love it! it's so small and does a great job of protecting the screen while still showing off apple's industrial design.

But if you're looking for some serious protection, the otterbox looks like a tank.

2soonold likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have read about iPad3 scuttlebutt, but is there DEFINITIVE word that it will come out around Christmas, as some people say?

Besides, people are getting some good coin for their first-gen iPads at places like Gazelle and through eBay or Craigslist right now.

I don't mind the "bulk" an Otterbox would deliver. There are a LOT of people who have said good things about the Otterbox (and about the SmartCover too, for that matter). However, the Smart Cover only protects the screen, not the entire body of the device. Plus, I actually like the look of Otterbox, as seen on pictures of them covering the first-gen iPad.

But thank you for your response.

Has anyone bought the other things offered....plugs, adapters, AppleCare, etc?

2soonold likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually have my laptop with me as well, so I didn't get any extra chargers and just plug the iPad into the laptop USB connector for charging.

The video dongle (HDMI) is nice if you plan on presenting from your iPad at meetings (may need HDMI to VGA/DVI adaptor). the video dongle can also be used to the hotel TV (seems like most hotels have flat screen and HDMI inputs).

2soonold and Captain Oveur like this.
  8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, no definitive word and as far as I know that rumor was started as pure speculation by John Gruber hypothesizing that Apple would want to get the iPad on the same production cycle as the iPod line which is traditionally released in Sept/Oct in time for the holiday rush.

I am also one of the ones who sold my original iPad making the cost of upgrading a lot more reasonable.

As to your original questions, Apple Care comes with the iPad for one year automatically and seeing as I sold mine before that year even expired it would have been not such a good investment to buy the second year up front. I believe you can add it any time before the first year expires. Connectors-wise I don't have any though I am a little tempted to get the new digital AV one with the HDMI plug as I could see that being useful. Handbreak is also a great software tool (and free) to rip videos to your computer and has built in settings to make videos iPad compatible. I was also able to download the VLC app when it was still available which also is nice as I don't have to do any converting to iPad specific formats. I know VLC is no longer available though there are perhaps other alternatives out there, I haven't looked into it.

On my original iPad I had the Apple case which I really liked. It did a good job of protecting the iPad from slight bangs and bumps and kept it from getting scratched up which also helped keep the resale value high. It also protected the corners of the iPad well. On top of that it didn't really add bulk to the iPad which is already fairly heavy to do certain activities like reading in bed IMO. If anyone knows of a similar case for the iPad 2 I am all ears.

2soonold and Captain Oveur like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

In response to your last paragraph, you might want to look at the ZAGG invisible shield. That came in second place on my list of covers. The fact that it doesn't have a stand or anything like that is why I'm leaning towards Otterbox (plus, I like the slightly extra bulk of Otterbox).

2soonold likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks.

The USB connector is included with the iPad purchase? Would I be correct in assuming that with that connection, I could feasibly simply drag and drop audio and video files onto the iPad via my laptop?

2soonold likes this.
  11. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha, I'm still using a clamshell design cell phone, so I'd guess it would be awhile for me.;)

12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea you get the USB dock connecter cable which will hook your computer to your iPad or the included power brick to the iPad. You have to sync through iTunes which I think is plenty easy/automatic though others perhaps argue that drag and drop is more easy.

13. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    I pre-ordered the original iPad to get it in time for a trip to Paris last year. Since not much else was available at first, I also bought the Apple iPad case which I have been quite happy with. However I have heard great things about LifeProof and am in line to get their iPhone 4 cover and also to be notified when their iPad cover comes out:
    http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-cases/ipad

Got the 2 yr Applecare and have not needed to use it. May just opt for the regular 1 yr when I get the i2. Still planning to sell my iPad/cover along with a keyboard docking station that I don't use, but am waiting for new supply of iPad 2's to become available because I don't want to be without an iPad. Love it! :DFor me the 16g wireless has been perfect and I plan to stick with the wireless version. Recently got the new Verizon iPhone 4 which has a wireless hotspot (haven't used it yet).

The accessory that I use often when traveling is the adapter for camera hookup since the iPad is the only computer I travel with and it is great to transfer and view photos.

Also use it as a ebook and love the fact that the screen is lit so no worries about bad lighting in hotel rooms.

Rlpro likes this.
  14. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got my iPad and am planning on going the Smart Cover and ZAGG invisible shield for the back.

I second adambadam's recommendation of Handbrake for ripping.

15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you'll get a USB cable one wall charger (to which the USB cable connects to).

And the same USB cable is what you use to sync your iPad with iTunes running on either Windows or Mac.

16. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Handbrake for ripping videos into formats my Apple products will play nicely with. It's nice because you can queue up an entire season of TV show episodes to be converted, one-by-one into mp4 format, at whatever resolution you want for your device.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just ordered my iPad 2 (black 32 GB WiFi model). I have had the 16 GB iPad 1 since day one with the original Apple iPad case, which I like a lot, and I am going to look for a case similar to it for the iPad 2. Don't think I want the smart cover as it presumably wouldn't provide sufficient protection when I throw my iPad into my backpack.

I bought the component video adapter for my old iPad to be able to watch movies on the big screen in hotel rooms. I also have a 3rd party set of composite/component cables, but they are crap (have to send them back).

Oh, and yes, I use HandBrake to rip DVDs (timeshift Netflix, essentially).

And I have VLC for other formats, though as I just discovered, it doesn't support output via the composite/component cables. I have to look at some of the alternatives out there -- examples I have found via Google are GoodPlayer and CineXPlayer ($2.99 each).

Chimpy likes this.
  18. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:

Same here! The camera adapter is very convenient and I use mine as a reader also.

santafefran likes this.
  19. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Cinexplayer for dowloaded Avi files and it works well, I also use AVPlayerHD for my Wmv. files.

Kaanapali, JALPak and Horse like this.
  20. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I put an invisible shield on the BACK only, and have the smart cover on the front. While I like the smart cover, I probably wouldn't buy it again. I prefer to just keep it bare, and then just slip the device into an incase or something like that when transporting. The slip case has a couple issues, the magnet on the COVER the switches the device OFF and ON is very sensitive, in that the area it needs to touch is small. Therefore, if the device is in a backpack or shuffle around it can very easily come ON and STAY ON. I prefer to just shut it off directly for that reason.

21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses. However, Handbrake says it does not rip DVDs. Am I missing something here?

22. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, TECHNICALLY you do have to have the VNC player installed so that all the necessary codecs are there. This is on the mac platform, possibly not likely on the pc. But, when you put the DVD in the device, spawn handbrake, point to the dvd, select the output format - you will get the VS and Audio files ripped.

23. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that true on the iPad 2 as well? I know with the original the option to play content via the monitor cables had to be specifically enabled in the app and I think even then it was limited by Apple. With the iPad2 you can now mirror what I thought was all content on the iPad to a monitor/TV.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading something similar during the announcement. But I don't have an iPad 2 yet to confirm if VLC would now work. And whether it works with all cables. Mirroring would be nice.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And (from memory) I believe it actually asks you to download/install VNC if you try to rip a DVD and don't have it.