Like George Clooney, United Airlines Flyer to reach 10 Million Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Jun 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/art...-airlines-flyer-to-reach-10-million-miles.htm

United Airlines frequent flyer Tom Stuker is a real "Up in the Air" flyer, soon to reach his 10 million miles flying milestone like George Clooney's character Ryan Bingham in the movie.

The milestone flight will be on Saturday July 9 and in order to celebrate crossing the 10 million mile mark, Stuker is inviting 20 people to join him on the flight.

"Should be fun....I know I will be celebrating!" Stuker posted recently on FlyerTalk.com, an internet bulletin board for frequent flyers.
    Stuker's 10 million miles aren't just regular frequent flyer miles, which can also be accrued through credit card purchases without flying. The 10 million miles are actual miles flown in the air.
    Like the character Ryan Bingham in the movie, Stuker is part of the airline's "secret club" which is actually a high revenue frequent flyer program that United Airlines calls "Global Services".

United Airlines won't release much information on the program, but spokesman Urbanski Janikowski told ABC News two years ago, "It's a world that not many folks know even exists."
    It's unknown whether or not a United Airlines "chief" pilot will be greeting Stuker as Ryan Bingham got in the movie, but Stuker said that United Airlines is part of the planning for the celebration.

mht_flyer, ande777emt, msv and 5 others like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one shoudl be entertaining. There seems to be publicity already. It almost makes me wish I had concentrated on one program instead of a dozen or so. Almost...

3. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am excited and honor to be invited by Tom :)
    Looking forward to join the celebration.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm bummed as I'm gonna be departing ORD at 8am that morning :( tho I am trying to change my flight (but i think the $$ factor will get in the way)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe UA can somewhat accommodate?

10MM BIS is quite the achievement.

goalie likes this.
  6. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it really 10 million BIS ? Or is it EQM (flown incl. COS bonus etc, without Credit cards?)

I'm only at 2 million BIS miles ... :eek:

7. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unlike George Clooney's character, whose achievement was RDM, Tom is achieving 10 million BIS miles (I think he said it's 14 or 16 million EQM).

I'd hoped to be able to celebrate the achievement, but right at the 14 day mark, the fares or points were just not in my favor. I'm still trying, though, as I think it would be a great party!

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just Incredible...good to know UA is keeping track of these achievements!

9. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm joining Tom @ORD for the celebrations! 10MM BISM attests to not only his incredible endurance but his passion for work, travel, flying. Regardless if every mile was earned in First (which initially probably wasn't), that's a heck of a lot of flying, which doesn't include airport nor destination(s) ground time. Mien Gott, his family must have rejoiced at the invention of SKYPE!

10. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    yeah, on AA which I think was the clooney characters airline, 10M there ain't like 10M on UA. MUCH easier to accumulate miles on AA.

adambadam likes this.
  11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, he has 10 Million BIS and 16 million EQMs (info on the FT thread).....Incredible!!!

BTW, Rambuster...2 million BIS is not easy for many folks!!!! (i am nowhere close!).

12. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I find truly special about his achievement is that he's worked to maintain his relationships. His girlfriend and son often travel with him, for example, so he can mix work and family when traveling the long distances.

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe he also said that his gf and son are both 1MM. Mindboggling achievement!

Travelsavant likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such a well-hidden secret that they announce it each time they board a flight ;-)

(in all fairness, until I joined FT, I had no idea what "Global Services" actually stood for)

mht_flyer, NYBanker and Grace like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, I believe "spokesman Urbanski Janikowski" is really a spokeswoman.

16. another big secret from UA : :) :) :)

17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did Ms. Robin get married? :)

18. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Fredd and I just crossed 1 MM. Some of our friends and relatives think (know?) we're crazy, and I've welcomed the chance to point out Tom's achievement to make the case 1 MM isn't all that outlandish and that there are flyers up there crazier than we are. ;)

sobore likes this.
  19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got one of the dreaded "...ski" surnames, too. I don't know anyone, however, with a double-ski. That may be as notable as 10mm BIS miles!

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good on you! Should be great. Hope your upgrade clears!

Think you can get this chap to log in to MP?

21. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I'm still trying to hit 1MM with UA (have about 75K to go and if they change the policy before I get there I'm never flying them again) I've done about 2.85M lifetime on all aircraft. Shame we don't have any real way to track this stuff across everything other than IF one chose to really track it early on.

I know I've "flown" a lot more than 1MM on UA since I've done a lot of award travel over the years. and winning the "free first class for six months" promo back in the 80's, I'm sure I didn't get any miles for that travel back then.
    :-(

22. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone on the party flight?

Or the party? So far reported invitees:
    karung99
    Travelsavant
    violist

23. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is truly an unbelievable feat. I have been flying on business for more than thirty years and since I spread my flying over many companies (many now defunct) and cannot see it all in one place, I can only estimate that I have flown somewhat less than half of that many BIS miles. Congratulations to Tom and best of luck on his amazing next ten million. :)

24. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pat89339 (flight and party)