Like Bugs? Non-working Sleep Number beds? You'll love Park Inn Airport Tulsa!

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by Max M, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly a great intro to my first stay at a Carlson/Rezidor Hotel Group. If you're planning on staying at the Park Inn Tulsa Airport property for the 1+1 44,000 Club Carlson points promo: do so at your own risk!

Below is the Email I sent Club Carlson:

--------
    Dear Club Carlson,

My fiancée and I stayed at the Park Inn Tulsa to take advantage of Club Carlson's 1+1 44,000 point promotion.

I just wanted to let you know the deplorable condition of the Park Inn Tulsa Airport. Our check-in date was 5/26/12, and checkout was 5/27/12. Our reservation confirmation number was: *********. Our rate was a AAA-rate of $89.10 plus taxes.

Upon checking into the hotel, your night manager ******* [I’m not for certain which one of these was her name] told me that I had booked my room via a 3rd Party. I told her that I did not do that, I booked via a Cash Back online portal site that linked directly to ParkInn.com You might train your front desk employees/managers better before making false assumptions about your “valued” customers and treat them with respect if they are booking a room with Carlson Hotels and not through a middle-man such as Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.

Your night manager/night auditor never told us at check-in how to get to our room, and there are no signs in any of the hallways showing what way the rooms are located. There are however, signs hand-written in marker that said “Lobby” with an arrow on them; very unprofessional:

[​IMG]

There was a grasshopper crawling around in the business center, and the business center is adjacent to the hotel dining room. Upon walking to our room in hallways that seem like they never end with no room number markings besides the individual room numbers on each of the rooms, we saw a cockroach scampering down the hallway where many rooms were located.

We stayed in room 155 for approximately 30 minutes. We had specifically reserved a Sleep Number bedroom, and the controls on the bed did not work. Upon almost retiring in the room for the night, my fiancée noticed bug fecal matter stains in the sheets which is indicative of a bedbug infestation. This was our cue to call a taxi, and stay with my parents in Tulsa. We had planned to stay with them the whole time over the Memorial Day weekend if it were not for the promotion Club Carlson is having for the Stay One-Get One 44,000 Club Carlson points promotion. Again, since we have family in Tulsa, there was no motivation for us to have stated at Park Inn Tulsa besides this hotel promotion.

I’m not sure if any of the bed bugs in our room [155] at Park Inn Tulsa Airport latched onto our clothing, our persons, suitcases, or other personal items--- I will update Carlson Hotels if this happens. Upon checking out, your night auditor/night front desk manager first apologized about the Sleep Number bed not working, and the bug fecal matter stain.

[​IMG]

Your front deak manager/night auditor asked if we wanted to switch rooms; I declined as the cockroach scampering down the hallway should have a been a red flag to not stay the night before even getting to the room.

One last item, your Night Audtior/Night Front Desk Manager refused to give me a print out of my checkout and said “since your reservation was voided, there’s nothing to print.

Regards,
    Max M
    ----------

I guess it should have been a red flag that none of the airline crews @ TUL were staying at Park Inn Tulsa Airport......

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a awful story. I've never been impressed with any Carlson hotels in the US. As a matter of fact, I only will stay at Radissons (Radisson Blu) when in Norway since they are the prevalent chain in Scandanavia.

Max M, perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's terrible, hopefully they will take action and clean their act up. I sure hope my upcoming stay at various Radisson properties are just the opposite of this. I will be on alert!

Max M and perryplatypus like this.
  4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. Just how much is a hotel promotion worth, if you encounter bedbugs?:eek:

Max M, wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I agree that it sucks, now it becomes a matter of whether you should have fought it out with them that night, especially since you weren't planning to stay.

They probably voided the reservation and will refund you the money, but you're out the points as well. And while I agree that the hotel sucks beyond words, now you either give up the points, hope they give them to you regardless, or you have to give another property a try if they choose not to.

Personally I don't think many people are actually planning to STAY at any of the lower priced properties in the US, and instead are planning to do phantom stays for the points and actual stays in high end properties in the US/Europe or transferring the points to airline miles.

And I know where you're coming from... you figured you're paying for it, you might as well stay there, but I think now you know why this chain seems to have an image problem.

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deplorable though I don't think this is indicative of these brands in some general way. My recent stay at a Country Inn in DFW was quite the opposite. Their response will be telling so I hope you can share it here.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what our cab driver told us, this property has rebranded itself numerous times over the years.
    I certainly will post their response here when I hear from them. After submitting the message via the Club Carlson website said it would take 7 days for a response.

8. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eeeeeeeeew
    One place I will pass!

Max M likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this month stayed at one Radisson (one night) and one Country Inn and Suites (two nights for two accounts) and both were fine for what it cost (and most definitely when factoring in the bonus points). No bed or other bugs and properties were in good condition. The staff was super friendly.

Scottrick likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I've stayed at the Radisson and the Country Inn & Suites at PDX, and while neither was stellar, they were perfectly adequate and reasonable for the price (I've also stayed at the Hyatt Place, about $20 more, and plan to make it my standard when in the area). Most hotels are operated by a different corporate owner than the brand itself. Sometimes this doesn't matter too much even when things aren't perfect. However, when you are staying in cheap hotels, the bell curve can include some nasty stuff at the tail end.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The T&C of the 1+1 promo specifically state that you must check in AND check out. So you're at least trying to check out. But since you didn't pay for the room, I don't see why you would need a receipt. It's a bit unreasonable to expect them to give you the bonus points when you refuse to pay for or stay at the hotel, even if you have a justified reason.

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes tent camping seem like a good idea. I expect bugs while camping. :eek:

Max M likes this.
  13. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unreasonable?

Perhaps if my sole intent was just to game them with the purpose of just trying to blik them out of free points. It was not. I intended to stay there with the expectation of a clean, comfortable room, for the entire evening. I was attempting to earn the points in a bonafide manner. If I have to throw out $500 worth of clothing because of bedbugs, $500 worth of suitcases because of bedbugs, and have 2 houses treated for bedbugs, then there should be some compensation. 44,000 points is a drop in the bucket for re-cooping these expenses.

Maybe you're unaware of protocol in the event of obtaining bedbugs from a motel/hotel?

My reason was that I was actually using my bank debit card, and was a little paranoid about not having a bill for the first time I happened to use my debit card for a hotel stay. Especially when there was a red ink stamp saying that there would be a $250 deposit charged to my debit card to make sure the room was still smoke-free after check-out. I don't think asking for a receipt is out of line.

Maybe you'd be comfortable not getting a receipt in a situation like this?

14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Hyatt Place Tulsa, DoubleTree Warren Place Tulsa, Hilton Tulsa Southern Hills, Marriott Tulsa, Renaissiance Tulsa, and all were priced cheaper than the $89.10 AAA rate I paid at Park Inn Airport Tulsa.

Guess I should have expected "some nasty stuff" at those "cheap hotels"? :rolleyes:

Fact is, at all of the aforementioned places, I've never experienced "nasty stuff" at those "cheap hotels". Never experienced bed bugs or hand-made signs at any of those properties. I've even stayed at the Marriott Tulsa and Hilton Tulsa Southern Hills during construction/refurbishing-- the somehow managed not to use handwritten signs during the construction. And all of those "cheap hotels" I mentioned, I've paid $89.10 or less.

Not every city can accomodate a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

15. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm suggesting that the quality of any hotel is distributed as a bell curve with a mean that depends on price. Most hotels will be near the mean. Some will be exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. You got a bad one. Exceptionally bad hotels at higher price points are generally still habitable, just bad deals. When you get bad hotels at lower price points, they may be both bad deals and uninhabitable.

Also, most Marriotts, Hiltons, and Renaissances will not be cheaper than $89.10. I would wager that they were not as good as some of the better hotels sharing those brands, but this is a separate point from the one above.

17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Radisson LAX, LAX Hilton, and the Westin LAX for... around $90 a night. Are they low-end chains? ;)

Max M likes this.
  18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not going to argue statistics. I'm just saying that one bad hotel does not mean the entire chain is s--t as the OP suggests. He paid little, he got little. That's what he should expect. If you pay little and get a lot, you're lucky. If he wants to argue he deserves compensation for his bed bug-infested clothes, that's a different issue and he can file a claim for that. But I'm annoyed by people who think they deserve the bonus points for a promotion when they won't stay at the hotel. If he still wants the points, he can pick a different Country Inn & Suites and hope for better luck.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I think you have a right to expect more than bedbugs and cockroaches.

Oh, and I've stayed at the PDX Radisson and Country Inn as well as the LAX Radisson and DCA Radisson- so I obviously don't have problems with Carlson properties. ;)

Max M likes this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all do. But that doesn't mean all Carlson hotels are bad. I've stayed at crummy Hyatts and crummy Hiltons, and I still like their brands.

viguera likes this.
  21. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I promised to update everyone about Club Carlson's response, and despite the claim that I'd receive a response within 7 days, that time frame has passed, with still no response.

My complaint was sent via the Club Carlson website on May 28th, and today is June 6th. Granted that was Memorial Day, so maybe they need even longer to respond?

I didn't see the wording of it taking 7 Business Days for a response, the site said just 7 Days to respond---perhaps that's what Carlson intends?

If,and when I do receive a response from Carlson, I'll be sure to post the response here. Amazing how long it's taking them to respond... I'm spoiled by Hilton HHonor's superior customer service as a [paid] Diamond Member.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    did you receive a post stay survey?

23. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

Went directly through the Club Carlson site via the contact us page to inform them of their problem property. Funny though, Club Carlson did send a promotional rate email to me today, despite their lack of response from my compliant.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Weird... I have received post-stay surveys for every Carlson property stay I have ever made (which admittedly is only five so far).

25. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing that the Front Desk Manager may have erased/canceled any proof of my reservation when we checked out as she said "there is [was] no folio to print since the reservation is [was] voided."

So I'm guessing my original reservation confirmation e-mail from ParkInn.com/ Club Carlson with my reservation number may be my only proof of my stay [besides pics taken of the property, along with a receipt from the ATM at the property that my bank clearly shows Park Inn Tulsa Airport for the cash withdrawal to pay for our taxi] that Carlson may have. There's no record of the stay under stay history on ClubCarlson.com

The "voiding" of the reservation may be why I didn't receive an e-mail survey from Carlson.

Every time I receive a survey from randomly chosen stays at HHonors properties, I always fill their surveys.