Lightning strikes AS SEA ORD flight

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ctporter, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between a "direct hit" and a "near miss." If the lightning, hit, it hit, and like the rep said, planes are designed to tolerate that. The lightning likely passed through or was somehow dissipated (I'm not sure how the latter could happen).

After all, electricity has to "go" somewhere. If you electrocute yourself from touching a wall socket at home, the electricity is simply passing through your body to the ground. That's why wearing rubber shoes helps (as I found out once) because the electricity has no where to go, it doesn't matter so much if you touch a live wire. It's also why repair men and birds can crawl along high tension wires as long as they don't touch the ground.

jackal likes this.
  3. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I was once on an AS flight during spring break a few years back ANC-SEA that was hit on approach into SEA. We heard a bit of a thud and I think the lights may have flickered - was towards the back IIRC, and the pilot came on the intercom and said the A/C had been struck by lightning but all systems were fine. It apparently struck towards the front of the A/C as when deboarding we asked a pilot about it and he said "it was louder then sh!t".

jackal likes this.
  4. mplflyer

mplflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Our plane was hit a few years ago flying from MCO to SEA. There was a huge "boom" sound and we saw the flash outside (didn't actually see the lightening though). There was dead silence in the cabin as we all wondered what had happened. Pilot came on a few minutes later and confirmed we were hit by lightning and said the plane is a "neutral object" in the sky and we were not in any danger. I wonder though.

5. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been on 2 flights hit by lightning. Both oddly on the same route and same airline UA JFK-SEA. On the second trip, the two men behind me were quite shaken by the whole thing, but luckily the charming bat of a purser put them at ease. "It was just a lightning strike."

I thought it was cool.

jackal likes this.